The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 5th June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by M_student
Ohhhh yeah yeah my bad, I mistakenly thought something differently ‘Apologies’
Btw, Are you guys confident with these ‘Oligopoly’ ‘Monopoly’ and Monopsony?

These three are very weird for me😪

I HIGHLY doubt anything about monopsony will show up. All of section B last year was on monopsony more or less. I find oligopoly and monopoly pretty easy.. oligopoly is slightly more annoying and I would not pick a question about market structures for a 25 marker for sure.
Original post by Zystra
I HIGHLY doubt anything about monopsony will show up. All of section B last year was on monopsony more or less. I find oligopoly and monopoly pretty easy.. oligopoly is slightly more annoying and I would not pick a question about market structures for a 25 marker for sure.

Really? More to talk about in a market structure essay than government intervention imo. The real killer would be a labour market 25 marker I reckon
Reply 22
I reckon paper section b will be mostly as stuff since last year it was all a level
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by TomLuxtino
Really? More to talk about in a market structure essay than government intervention imo. The real killer would be a labour market 25 marker I reckon

Think I worded what I said badly. I meant the questions such as "Perfect competition is a better market structure than oligopoly". I know the reasons but its just structuring that in an exam is really awkward.

I think for top level marks intervention is easier simply because there's more to talk about - if its how to reduce consumption of a demerit good you could draw tax on an externalities diagram which would be a solid paragraph then maybe regulation and information provision - I feel like I could do pretty well on that.

But I agree, labour market would be BRUTAL for a 25 marker. I wouldn't mind it for section B- its just that the spec doesn't have much on labour markets other than elasticity and shifts as well as minimum wage.. you could maybe answer a 15 market but 25? hell no
Reply 24
Original post by temzra
I reckon paper section b will be mostly as stuff since last year it was all a level

That's not necessarily good though as the examiners want you to bring in a2 knowledge into it more or less.

I doubt it. There's not many topics on AS which could come up as anything more than a 5 marker except for government intervention and externalities - at least for externalities I would struggle bringing up anything from A2
Original post by temzra

I highly doubt that.
Original post by temzra

What paper are you talking about because the section B from last year that I'm seeing is mainly AS (theme 1) questions. Paper 1 Section B.jpg
That’s the wrong one. This is the section B of last year.
55648616-9350-4239-A4DB-7F0C79614F87.png
Hi. Some v useful videos for P2/3.
Original post by ismaeel786
55648616-9350-4239-A4DB-7F0C79614F87.png

Yeah you're right, my bad, I was looking at 2016. Luckily you've pointed that out to me before the exam!
Original post by Brandinho
Yeah you're right, my bad, I was looking at 2016. Luckily you've pointed that out to me before the exam!

No worries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzmvLxgVeeU

This is probably worth checking out if you haven't already.
Original post by Zystra
Think I worded what I said badly. I meant the questions such as "Perfect competition is a better market structure than oligopoly". I know the reasons but its just structuring that in an exam is really awkward.

I think for top level marks intervention is easier simply because there's more to talk about - if its how to reduce consumption of a demerit good you could draw tax on an externalities diagram which would be a solid paragraph then maybe regulation and information provision - I feel like I could do pretty well on that.

But I agree, labour market would be BRUTAL for a 25 marker. I wouldn't mind it for section B- its just that the spec doesn't have much on labour markets other than elasticity and shifts as well as minimum wage.. you could maybe answer a 15 market but 25? hell no

Yeah I'd be tempted to bring things in from outside the spec like MRP but that's dangerous as it won't be on the mark scheme
guys when we're drawing perfect competition diagrams can we just draw the firm diagram (costs/rev) or do we HAVE to draw the market diagram adjacent to it (supply/demand)?

just asking bc of time-saving purposes considering how horribly tight econ exams are :/
I would draw the market diagram with the equilibrium price, to show you understand, that in perfect competition, the firms are price takers
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Captainbikini
I would draw the market diagram with the equilibrium price, to show you understand, that in perfect competition, the firms are price takers

i see where youre coming from. thanks X
also guys, have you guys researched an industry / case studies of firms ? i didnt know we were supposed to till i just saw a question that said "refer to an industry of your choice" ?? help? :/
Original post by Demesne7
also guys, have you guys researched an industry / case studies of firms ? i didnt know we were supposed to till i just saw a question that said "refer to an industry of your choice" ?? help? :/

Econplusdal has a video on it, just use your own knowledge or examples you'd have learnt in class.
Reply 39
Is paper one unit 1 and 4?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending