amyiam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've had mental health issues over the last few years which have impacted on my degree with Middlesex University. My case was put forward to a progression board at Mdx last week (was meant to be in June!) and they've decided that I can't complete my final year with them. I want to transfer to the OU but the transfer deadline was in August so it doesn't seem like I'll be able to start my final year in October! I'm desperate to finish my degree without wasting any more years... Has anyone previously managed to transfer after the deadline and enrol for October? Do they ever make exceptions?!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by amyiam)
I've had mental health issues over the last few years which have impacted on my degree with Middlesex University. My case was put forward to a progression board at Mdx last week (was meant to be in June!) and they've decided that I can't complete my final year with them. I want to transfer to the OU but the transfer deadline was in August so it doesn't seem like I'll be able to start my final year in October! I'm desperate to finish my degree without wasting any more years... Has anyone previously managed to transfer after the deadline and enrol for October? Do they ever make exceptions?!
The OU has February starts for some modules, and the deadline for credit transfer is in November for those courses. If you take one of these modules, you would only be finishing a few months later rather than a whole year.

But no, they won't make an exception. It's too late to enrol in October modules anyway, and they would need to assess the credit transfer before you could start. That takes a few weeks to do, but there isn't enough time left. You've also got the issue of student finance, which wouldn't be approved in time for the start of course.
amyiam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
The OU has February starts for some modules, and the deadline for credit transfer is in November for those courses. If you take one of these modules, you would only be finishing a few months later rather than a whole year.

But no, they won't make an exception. It's too late to enrol in October modules anyway, and they would need to assess the credit transfer before you could start. That takes a few weeks to do, but there isn't enough time left. You've also got the issue of student finance, which wouldn't be approved in time for the start of course.
Thanks for replying!
That's the vibe I was getting but I just wanted to check if there were any previous cases of exceptions being made. :erm:
I don't mind so much if I start in Feb but apparently February start dates are uncommon for Level 3 modules. Might call and see if there are ANY modules on the Open Degree that start in Feb - if there are, hopefully they're the ones I want. Chances are slim but I'm still hopeful (perhaps desperate) for a good outcome.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by amyiam)
Thanks for replying!
That's the vibe I was getting but I just wanted to check if there were any previous cases of exceptions being made. :erm:
I don't mind so much if I start in Feb but apparently February start dates are uncommon for Level 3 modules. Might call and see if there are ANY modules on the Open Degree that start in Feb - if there are, hopefully they're the ones I want. Chances are slim but I'm still hopeful (perhaps desperate) for a good outcome.
I graduated in 2015, but at that time there were about 10 level 3 modules in the social sciences with February starts. So it wasn't an amazing choice, but it was possible. I know they have changed things a lot, but I wouldn't have thought they would get rid of them completely. I've only had a quick look, but I've found developing statistical thinking has an April start, and there's a few science modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads