rhianjones
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Explain the following legislation relating to document production requirements of data protection, copyright and intellectual property
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rhianjones)
Explain the following legislation relating to document production requirements of data protection, copyright and intellectual property
I'm assuming you've missed off half of the question, as you will need to look at specific legislation.

For data protection, you need to look at what the data protection act says. This will be in relation to holding data on customers, eg a mailing list or warranty information. Data can't be stored for longer than necessary, so if the company offers a 2 year warranty they would need to have arrangements for the data to be destroyed safely after that period - they can't just store it forever. The company would also need a way of allowing people to remove themselves from the mailing list.
The data needs to be stored securely, and only people who need access should be allowed to view it. This can mean things like password protection for computer files, or for printed information it might need to be locked away and only certain people have the key. This is because you can't have everyone knowing what products your customers have bought - if someone knows that Mrs Jones owns an expensive piece of jewellery they might be tempted to rob Mrs Jones.

Copyright and intellectual property are similar, as they're to do with protecting people from copying. You can't copy someone else's work or design. This can be protected by things like patents and trademarks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.76%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
29.41%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.82%
No, I haven't received any communication (17)
50%

Watched Threads