The Student Room Group

Computer Science Advice??

How can I stand out in my UCAS application when applying for Computer science? I am in S5 right now.

Thanks
Do you want to apply for a postgraduate degree?
Original post by AZ_1234
How can I stand out in my UCAS application when applying for Computer science? I am in S5 right now.Thanks

Focus on doing as much Maths as you can, and if possible participate in Maths-related extracurricular activities, such as the BMO or similar. I don't know if there's a British Computing Olympiad, although I'm pretty sure there is an international CS one in some form. Actual programming or computing/ICT/IT/CS experience isn't normally needed or expected, and probably won't benefit you as much as just doing as much as you can in the realm of maths.

Original post by 214508
Do you want to apply for a postgraduate degree?

Not really sure how that's relevant when they're asking about applying to the undegrad course...?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Focus on doing as much Maths as you can, and if possible participate in Maths-related extracurricular activities, such as the BMO or similar. I don't know if there's a British Computing Olympiad, although I'm pretty sure there is an international CS one in some form. Actual programming or computing/ICT/IT/CS experience isn't normally needed or expected, and probably won't benefit you as much as just doing as much as you can in the realm of maths.

Not really sure how that's relevant when they're asking about applying to the undegrad course...?

Thanks!
Projects e.g apps, robotics competitions, hackathons, perfect grades, reading books on compsci theory e.g. the new turing omnibus. Ideally all of them
Original post by AZ_1234
How can I stand out in my UCAS application when applying for Computer science? I am in S5 right now.

Thanks

Just tagging in @LMH OXFORD @Murray Edwards Admissions
Ensure that your Maths is as strong as possible. You do not need any prior experience of programming but if you have some then you can discuss that in your personal statement to show that you have developed your wider interest in the subject. In the end, though, Maths remains the overriding concern.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending