Does this damage any chance I have at medicine? Watch

annamanl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I plan to apply to medicine for 2019 entry in my gap year because I kinda want to travel and experience life a bit before embarking on a hectic 6 year course. However, as a backup plan I want to apply for biomedical engineering for 2018 entry. In case, god forbid I get AAB or AAA instead of A*AA+. If i achieve or exceed my predicted grades A*AA then i'll withdraw and embark on my gap year. But if I don't apply this year theres no chance of going through clearing or anything because ucas doesn't even know who I am. HOWEVER, the ucas lady at my college said if I apply to a different course and withdraw and apply for medicine universities will see that and say I was never passionate about medicine in the first place.I don't know whether its worth taking the risk of not applying to university at all even though I really want to do medicine.
Side note don't tell me to apply for medicine for deferred entry as my school strongly advised against this, plus I haven't done the ukcat.
HeadHoncho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you apply for a different course this year, withdraw, then reapply for medicine next year, universities wouldnt even know you applied last year let alone what course and im sure they wouldnt even care

Why did your school advise against deferred entry application? If its because you havent registered for ukcat (which you cant now) then fair enough
annamanl
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeadHoncho)
If you apply for a different course this year, withdraw, then reapply for medicine next year, universities wouldnt even know you applied last year let alone what course and im sure they wouldnt even care

Why did your school advise against deferred entry application? If its because you havent registered for ukcat (which you cant now) then fair enough
Thanks but what if I apply to lets say ucl course in biomedical engineering meet the offer and withdraw on results day and then a few months later try to apply to the same university with a different course. The UCAS lady said that this will not show my commitment to medicine as my first option etc,

They advised against deferred entry as applicant each are viewed differently each year. Ukcat cut off, BMAT average.It also increases the chance of no offers which is already at 60.
They said it would be a risk and potentially a waste of time as I could be focusing on studying etc.
HeadHoncho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by annamanl)
Thanks but what if I apply to lets say ucl course in biomedical engineering meet the offer and withdraw on results day and then a few months later try to apply to the same university with a different course. The UCAS lady said that this will not show my commitment to medicine as my first option etc,

They advised against deferred entry as applicant each are viewed differently each year. Ukcat cut off, BMAT average.It also increases the chance of no offers which is already at 60.
They said it would be a risk and potentially a waste of time as I could be focusing on studying etc.
The engineering department would have no business discussing applications with the medical one, they really wouldnt care, for all they know you could have had an epiphany that meant you became more interesed in medicine. Your schools UCAS lady doesnt sound very informed tbh

Statistics are kind of helpful but dont analyse them to a fault, if your application seems strong thus far then your chances are slightly better. What you could have done is applied for 2018 entry, get an offer, then deferred, i know many people who have done this
annamanl
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeadHoncho)
The engineering department would have no business discussing applications with the medical one, they really wouldnt care, for all they know you could have had an epiphany that meant you became more interesed in medicine. Your schools UCAS lady doesnt sound very informed tbh

Statistics are kind of helpful but dont analyse them to a fault, if your application seems strong thus far then your chances are slightly better. What you could have done is applied for 2018 entry, get an offer, then deferred, i know many people who have done this
Oh okay that sounds good. I guess i'll apply to biomedical engineering for the time being.Thanks for the advice and lmao she's a grumpy old lady who's been doing this job longer than I've been in this world.
Come to think of it, I guess I should have applied for deferred entry then I wouldn't have to spend my gap year doing admission tests and going to interviews but it is what it is. Wish you the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.74%
No, but I have thought about it (53)
27.32%
No (93)
47.94%

Watched Threads