The Student Room Group

What's your favourite thing about living in the UK?

let's try and show the uk some love lol too many negative threads on here tbh

For me, I would say it's the benefit system. I am so, so grateful there are things like child benefit, free school meals, bursaries, job seekers allowance etc

I also like the roadman banter ngl

Scroll to see replies

Free NHS, free education and all that free stuff and free travel until 18 year old. The Belgian caramel shortbread from greggs is truly a blessing. I also like roadman banter, it's lit 😂
Primark for their cheap socks
Original post by Emerald7770
Free NHS, free education and all that free stuff and free travel until 18 year old. The Belgian caramel shortbread from greggs is truly a blessing. I also like roadman banter, it's lit 😂

YAASS cheap socks tho :lol:

you kno you're living in a truly civilised society when socks are cheep
sewage systems.
Reply 4
Original post by SCIENCE :D
sewage systems.

Reply 5
Original post by basicallyshrek

For me, I would say it's the benefit system. I am so, so grateful there are things like child benefit, free school meals, bursaries, job seekers allowance etc

Roadman banter are my faves tbh. The music, free things, people, food, diversity in cultures eg; Chinese restaurant, Somali restaurants, Arabic restaurants and more. LUCKY TO LIVE IN LONDON <3

Hate; theresa may, brexit
Original post by Emerald7770

I though free NHS care was for adults as well? And yes, the NHS and all the great services to people the UK provides is one of my favourite things. Also that fact that we are in general such a loving and including society (but sometimes you doubt it when you look at TSR :0)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JMR2017
I though free NHS care was for adults as well?

Not the prescriptions, however. You can blame Mr Barnett and his controversial formula for that.

The BBC
Drinking age being 18, and being able to drive/take the train everywhere easily.
NHS
Lack of extreme weather
British humour/comedy
Original post by JMR2017
I though free NHS care was for adults as well? And yes, the NHS and all the great services to people the UK provides is one of my favourite things. Also that fact that we are in general such a loving and including society (but sometimes you doubt it when you look at TSR :0)

Oh the "until 18 years old" was for the bus fare part😂 lmao ikr TSR is a mad world
Original post by WoodyMKC
NHS
Lack of extreme weather
British humour/comedy

Lack of extreme weather is a big one. We are very lucky to live here. No dangerous animals either.
London lmao

Who pays for all those 'freebies?'

Numpty :rofl:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
Lack of extreme weather is a big one. We are very lucky to live here. No dangerous animals either.

Ahh yeah forgot that one was well, we don't have to check our shoes for venomous animals or make sure there aren't snakes in the bog before we go for a s*** :biggrin:
Reply 16
The freedom to say, do wear etc whatever you want, London Underground, proper laws/discrimination rules etc in place, social/geographical mobility, weather (usually not too hot or cold), diversity, NHS and the number of innovative companies who set up shop here.
My genuine favourite thing about living here is the culture. Not in any lofty sense but just in how people behave. I like sharing the same habits and customs as the people around me, being able to make a dry joke and be understood, things like that. I like visiting other countries but never feel at home anywhere because everyone else in the world behaves differently.

Kinda sad about the amount of people who are basically saying 'free stuff', but not surprised.
Safety and security

Social mobility and career opportunities are fantastic, the sky is the limit

High quality infrastructure especially in London

Excellent healthcare

Excellent education

Unique culture (architecture, monarchy, queuing, TV shows like Sherlock) and heritage

Natural beauty

Freedoms
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by r-t
The freedom to say, do wear etc whatever you want, London Underground, proper laws/discrimination rules etc in place, social/geographical mobility, weather (usually not too hot or cold), diversity, NHS and the number of innovative companies who set up shop here.

Oh yeah, diversity is a big one for me too - i love how much culture there is, people from literally everywhere set up shop here its great :u:

Original post by Trapz99
Safety and security

Social mobility and career opportunities are fantastic, the sky is the limit

High quality infrastructure especially in London

Excellent healthcare

Excellent education

Unique culture (architecture, monarchy, queuing, TV shows like Sherlock) and heritage

Natural beauty

Freedoms

Yeah, the UK has so much countryside, it's beautiful :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending