Realistically, will I cope with A-Level Physics without Maths

Watch
Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m doing History, Geography and Physics for A-Level and got a 6 in GCSE Maths.

So far I’ve enjoyed Physics, because I find it interesting and for some reason I enjoy applied maths but despise pure maths (the reason why I didn’t take Maths). So far I haven’t struggled and I’m up to SUVAT equations.

I enjoy my subjects a lot and particularly like the fact that they’re all quite different. I picked these subjects because I enjoyed them at GCSE and they were also my best grades (well, highest marks as I got all A’s besides Maths). I’m also very motivated to do well in it, despite not being able to do anything STEM/Physics related at university.

Since I’m doing 3 subjects I’ll have more time to practice the maths side of Physics, but do you think I’d struggle without Maths?
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fonzworth)
Maths in physics A-Level is easy, like ~ B @ GCSE easy. Mech in maths A-Level can help a bit, but no biggie. So it's doable, I know a few who coped fine.

It's not that physics w/o maths is signif harder, it's that those who take both tend to be better at maths/sci (self selecting).
Ladkus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just take maths with mechanics. It helps
skinthelongbate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you look at the specification, you'll see that the difficulty of the maths involved is greatly overexaggerated. It does not assume that you have studied A-level maths.

(Original post by skinthelongbate)
No.
??
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did Physics AS and Maths as a full A Level and only one topic was covered in both subjects - mechanics
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I’m doing History, Geography and Physics for A-Level and got a 6 in GCSE Maths.

So far I’ve enjoyed Physics, because I find it interesting and for some reason I enjoy applied maths but despise pure maths (the reason why I didn’t take Maths). So far I haven’t struggled and I’m up to SUVAT equations.

I enjoy my subjects a lot and particularly like the fact that they’re all quite different. I picked these subjects because I enjoyed them at GCSE and they were also my best grades (well, highest marks as I got all A’s besides Maths). I’m also very motivated to do well in it, despite not being able to do anything STEM/Physics related at university.

Since I’m doing 3 subjects I’ll have more time to practice the maths side of Physics, but do you think I’d struggle without Maths?
You'll fail Physics.
SwayzieExpress
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I personally wouldn't take physics without maths. I don't know what you want to do at uni but I take it you understand that any course that will ask for physics will also ask for maths. It's your decision, though.
Andrew Dainty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The maths in A-level physics isn’t that challenging, a lot of it is just plugging numbers into a formula. There may be a bit of algebra manipulation but that’s what you would find in GCSE maths. I would say however that if you don’t do A-level maths, the only way you could do physics at uni is if you find a foundation course that doesn’t require maths. One of my friends who did physics got a B and he didn’t take maths at A-level.
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by SwayzieExpress)
I personally wouldn't take physics without maths. I don't know what you want to do at uni but I take it you understand that any course that will ask for physics will also ask for maths. It's your decision, though.
I may do Geology which asks for 2 sciences, Geography counts as 1
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I may do Geology which asks for 2 sciences, Geography counts as 1
Why not take Maths as a fourth?
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladkus)
Just take maths with mechanics. It helps
In the time I would have maths I could practice the maths in Physics and I don’t really want to stress a lot over an AS
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exceptional)
Why not take Maths as a fourth?
I don’t really want to stress over an AS and in the time I would have maths I could practice the maths in Physics
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew Dainty)
The maths in A-level physics isn’t that challenging, a lot of it is just plugging numbers into a formula. There may be a bit of algebra manipulation but that’s what you would find in GCSE maths. I would say however that if you don’t do A-level maths, the only way you could do physics at uni is if you find a foundation course that doesn’t require maths. One of my friends who did physics got a B and he didn’t take maths at A-level.
That’s the unfortunate thing, I don’t thing Physics at degree level would be for me
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by SwayzieExpress)
This is the annoying thing, but I guess if it requires a solid maths background then the degree isn’t for me
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by skinthelongbate)
No.
(Original post by 06moca1)
You'll fail Physics.
How so?
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How so?
As someone who took A level physics without maths. Only two people got decent grades and both did A level maths. Everyone else screwed up.
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by 06moca1)
As someone who took A level physics without maths. Only two people got decent grades and both did A level maths. Everyone else screwed up.
Would you say that they worked hard and practiced a lot?
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As long as you feel very confident with the content you covered in GCSE Maths then I don't see any reason why you should struggle with the mathematical content in A Level Physics. The reason why people not taking A Level Maths often do worse at A Level Physics is probably less to do with them not taking Maths and more to do with them more likely being weaker at maths/physics in the first place.
Fonzworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
As long as you feel very confident with the content you covered in GCSE Maths then I don't see any reason why you should struggle with the mathematical content in A Level Physics. The reason why people not taking A Level Maths often do worse at A Level Physics is probably less to do with them not taking Maths and more to do with them more likely being weaker at maths/physics in the first place.
Thanks for this, I remember someone saying that the only advantage of doing A-Level Maths is that they get more practice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
13.19%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (20)
21.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (40)
43.96%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.3%

Watched Threads