Tips for uni essays and multiple choice exams

Watch
Mitt1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Also I'm doing geography with an archaeology module. What revision tips would you advise?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mitt1)
Also I'm doing geography with an archaeology module. What revision tips would you advise?
Uni really is the time and place to work out how you revise, study and work best. Do you like to revise slowly over time or like to work at the last minute? Do you like making notes or just reading stuff from your lectures over and over? Does it help you to practise or just collect your thoughts make notes and write?
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mitt1)
Hey!

Are you in first year? As alleycat393 said above, this is the ideal time to figure out how to study to the best of your ability. Because often first year isn't included into your final degree classification, it's the best chance to make mistakes you can learn from and understand exactly what works for you, what makes a great essay, how to revise effectively and what inspires you in your course!

Personally, I make sure I do the required reading (set by my tutors for before each lecture) and highlight or note down any key ideas or quotations (which becomes useful when writing an essay and wanting to add in references). Then I make notes in the lecture, and often write them up again when I get home or a few days later (using the PowerPoint slides we were presented) so that I have a better knowledge of what we learnt and can try to link the theories together in a meaningful way, which again, is helpful when it comes to assignments and essays.

As for revision, I've found going through PowerPoint slides and highlighting important information as well as using cue cards to ask myself the questions or to memories specific key terms or answers very helpful. However, there are many ways to revise which might work better for you:

- studying with friends and quizzing each other
- going to drop in sessions with your tutors to ask questions
- looking up online quizzes or asking for practise papers
- making posters
- writing up notes organised with colours/post-its
- cue cards

There are probably loads more I haven't thought of, too!

Hope this helps,

Ellie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (110)
14.65%
My mental health (110)
14.65%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.91%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
17.98%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.85%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.64%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads