The Student Room Group

Anyone else notice stray dogs in Greece?

After hearing the sad story about the poor lady who was attacked by dogs/ wolves in Greece, unfortunately I'm not that surprised.

I went to Crete this summer, and was completely shocked by the amount of stray dogs wandering around. They were more common than cats, they were everywhere.
I even remember seeing a pack of 5 dogs outside our hotel, just laying in the sun.

At the time I found it sad, a lot of them had old collars on, as if they were abandoned, and some seemed quite desperate for a bit of interaction. I remember walking home one night and a stray sprung out from the bushes so fast it made me jump, however he just proceed to walk home with us, crossing a busy road with us and then made his way.

It's strange because I've never heard anything about stray dogs being an issue in Greece, has anyone else experienced something similar?

When I saw the pack of dogs outside my hotel, it was a bit concerning because attacks must happen fairly frequently.
Original post by Twinpeaks
After hearing the sad story about the poor lady who was attacked by dogs/ wolves in Greece, unfortunately I'm not that surprised.

I went to Crete this summer, and was completely shocked by the amount of stray dogs wandering around. They were more common than cats, they were everywhere.
I even remember seeing a pack of 5 dogs outside our hotel, just laying in the sun.

At the time I found it sad, a lot of them had old collars on, as if they were abandoned, and some seemed quite desperate for a bit of interaction. I remember walking home one night and a stray sprung out from the bushes so fast it made me jump, however he just proceed to walk home with us, crossing a busy road with us and then made his way.

It's strange because I've never heard anything about stray dogs being an issue in Greece, has anyone else experienced something similar?

When I saw the pack of dogs outside my hotel, it was a bit concerning because attacks must happen fairly frequently.

I spent a good chunk of last year hopping between the Greek islands, I saw more cats than dogs but yeah, the number of strays are really high. There was a sharp rise in the number after Greece went into financial meltdown, people simply couldn't afford to feed their animals anymore.
There's always been a lot, but apparently it jumped significantly when the financial issues peaked. I'll try and dig out an article I found last year with the figures.
Reply 3
As I come from Greece I can assure you that you're right. Stray dogs are a big problem in every town from the largest to the smallest in Greece. People abandon them and we are all really sad about that since they can be dangerous sometimes but mostly for their well-being...
Reply 4
Same in Portugal and much of Spain, stray dogs all over the place. I remember sitting outside a restuarant one evening in Portugal, and about a dozen dogs were just hovering around the table hoping for food, at least until the chef came out and chased them away with a broom handle. Southern Europeans unfortunately do seem to have a much more lax attitude towards animal welfare than Northern Europeans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending