Uni Work Damaging My Eyes?

Watch this thread
The Monk
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I`m a third year and had the exact same problem last year as I`m a history student so all of my work is either reading off of a laptop or typing up on a laptop for almost all of the day. As a said, last year I started getting really bad dark circles under my eyes and its almost looking wrinkly and old like I have the face of someone two or three times my age, my eyes themselves constantly feel tired and look glazed. The year`s only just started so work will inevitably ramp up but I don`t know what to do, its not as easy as just taking a break for a day as I`ve got a lot of stuff that needs done but my eyes feel very strained and I`m a bit shocked when I see my eye-bags when looking in the mirror.

Has anyone else experienced this and any ideas what to do?
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Monk)
I`m a third year and had the exact same problem last year as I`m a history student so all of my work is either reading off of a laptop or typing up on a laptop for almost all of the day. As a said, last year I started getting really bad dark circles under my eyes and its almost looking wrinkly and old like I have the face of someone two or three times my age, my eyes themselves constantly feel tired and look glazed. The year`s only just started so work will inevitably ramp up but I don`t know what to do, its not as easy as just taking a break for a day as I`ve got a lot of stuff that needs done but my eyes feel very strained and I`m a bit shocked when I see my eye-bags when looking in the mirror.

Hey,

I never really thought about this for myself, but now you've mentioned it I do feel like I feel some similar effects from reading online a lot (but also from not always getting much sleep).

Some ways to look after your eyes/skin could be:

- Get enough sleep (7-9 hours I think?) and take a break from screens 30-60 mins before sleeping
- Drink lots of water (drink a couple of pints of water each morning, then take a bottle with you throughout the day)
- Take 5 minute breaks every so often especially when you're reading or writing on screens, just take a quick walk around the house, go get a cuppa or a snack, or just sit and close your eyes for a bit! This is good for concentration too!
- Try to do your reading/writing in daylight rather than at night with more artificial light around you
- Have a look into eye drops or spray which can give your eyes some moisture, and get eye moisturiser to put around your eyes at night

I hope these help, as I say I'm definitely not an expert but it's worth doing what you can to look after your eyes.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Have you been to an opticans recently?
The Monk
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Have you been to an opticans recently?
Never haha
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Never haha
Well go and get to one asap.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (137)
66.83%
No (46)
22.44%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.73%

Watched Threads