The Student Room Group

Applying for Dentistry with an A-level in Graphics

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I am studying Biology, Chemistry and German at A-level; I am planning to apply for Dentistry at university next year and I am also thinking of changing one of my subjects.

I want to drop German and do Graphics instead. Do you think that would put me at disadvantage when I am applying for Dentistry? I know that Biology and Chemistry are the only necessary A-levels for this course but would my application be overlooked if I do Graphics as it is not a facilitating subject? Would that make my application less competitive?

What do you think: should I carry on with German or do Graphics instead? Which one would be more beneficial in the future? I have to decide by the end of next week.

Also, would it better to do A-level Art instead of Graphics as it is broader and shows more practical skills? I have considered doing that but I am afraid that the amount of coursework for Art would interfere with the workload for my other subjects?

I am contemplating whether to carry on with German because I have studied it extensively in the past before I did my GCSE in it - I achieved three language certificates from the Goethe Institut that are correspond to the levels A1, A2 and B1. I know that I would improve my German further if I don't drop it now but I have also thought that Graphics would be a "break" from my two academic subjects. Has anyone been in a similar situation and/or have the same career path interest as me?
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd say stick with German, as it is a more rigorous and academic subject.
I'm doing almost the same A levels as you (bio, chem, maths, German) and I'd keep German. I think it's a better way to show you are a well rounded student than Graphics because like you say, it's facilitating. Employers love language A levels because they're getting rarer. For me I find German a nice enough contrast from my science subjects.

I think taking German will keep your options more open as to which unis you can apply to because it is more appealing to Russell Group universities.

That being said, it's important you enjoy German because you'll have to keep up with vocab in your own time. You will also undertake a research project on a topic of your choice (has to be relevant to German culture), and study a German book and film. If that appeals to you, stick with it because it's the more academic option but if you think you would enjoy graphics a lot more/do better in it, then maybe you should switch after all. It's so important that you love your a level subjects because its a long two years and you'll do better in them.
Original post by eliza154
I'm doing almost the same A levels as you (bio, chem, maths, German) and I'd keep German. I think it's a better way to show you are a well rounded student than Graphics because like you say, it's facilitating. Employers love language A levels because they're getting rarer. For me I find German a nice enough contrast from my science subjects.

I think taking German will keep your options more open as to which unis you can apply to because it is more appealing to Russell Group universities.

That being said, it's important you enjoy German because you'll have to keep up with vocab in your own time. You will also undertake a research project on a topic of your choice (has to be relevant to German culture), and study a German book and film. If that appeals to you, stick with it because it's the more academic option but if you think you would enjoy graphics a lot more/do better in it, then maybe you should switch after all. It's so important that you love your a level subjects because its a long two years and you'll do better in them.

Thanks for the advice. I think that I will carry on with German but I am still worried that I will not do well enough in it as I have not studied it intensely since year 9 (I did my GCSE in German early).

Quick Reply

Latest