Feel a bit stuck with funding for placement accomodation

Watch
inthedark1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Im studying for an allied health profession at uni which is funded by the NHS. Ive been allocated a 6 week placement which is 40 miles away and although I drive it will mean travelling 80 miles per day on the motorway which Im not overly confident going on for that long of a distance in winter. The university wont/dont/cant change placements despite there being plenty if hospitals etc nearby (I live in manchester). The placement office told me that I can get accomodation near there and that NHS bursaries will pay up to £55 per night.

Ive found sonewhere for £45 per night. The placements office at uni stated id be entitled but whenI rang NHS bursaries they said they fund accomodation if this works out cheaper per day than it would to travel there from home. Well it wouldnt as it would cost £14 per day in petrol yet £45 to stay over. I explained this and they said well other factors are taken into account too.

They dont provide extra loan/or money up front, they reimburse after the placement. luckily I have a family member willing to lend me the money but she wants confirmation that the NHS will reimburse ie she wants confirmation she will get the money back.

NHS bursaries said they cant provide this though, that they cant guarantee but thatmost students are reimbursed.

Im not sure what to do. I dont want to be left oweing her all this money, just wanted advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (64)
13.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.49%
No - I live at home during term anyway (137)
28.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise