HIlmy Dzulfiqar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've learnt some types of DNA in school. What've became my question is; is external factor could influence the DNA and genetic system? I mean, such if you having some disseas while you were fetus, either from your mom in pregnant, or external disease. Is that influence your genetic system?

RSVP
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, the "environment" an organism is exposed to can influence genetics. In a coding sense, it can cause mutations by damaging DNA. In a non-coding sense, the field of epigenetics is the study of this. And its a pretty massive field so I won't go into it here unless you want me to
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

To keep some detail [as mentioned by QuentinM] simple and succinct, you will know that the code in DNA is transcribed onto mRNA then translated into specific proteins.

External factors such as drugs or physical or radiation damage can alter the genetic code [a mutation].

Drugs more often result in a promotion or suppression of genes i. e. some drugs work by stimulating or inhibiting gene expression so that a protein may be produced in excess or not synthesized e.g. the glucocorticoids (steroids) act on glucocorticoid receptors (GR: protein in nature) that then enter the nucleus and can stimulate or inhibit the synthesis of specific proteins by increasing or decreasing gene expression, respectively.

So yes, it does occur!

M (A level biology tutor)
HIlmy Dzulfiqar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
Yes, the "environment" an organism is exposed to can influence genetics. In a coding sense, it can cause mutations by damaging DNA. In a non-coding sense, the field of epigenetics is the study of this. And its a pretty massive field so I won't go into it here unless you want me to

So, such the radioactive could influence my chromosom? Or, my nucleutide?
Even I don't find any genetic disease in my family trees, but I can create it in my chromosom?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise