The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Essential Freshers knowledge

Hey boys and gals, Freshers week is finally coming, andto be perfectly honest i can't wait espcially since Fatboy slim. shapeshifters, maroon5, keane, joss stone amongst others are paying at uni within the coming months, so now i just want to know a number of things before i start:
1. Girls to boys ratio
2. Whether the girls are hot or not(its extremely shallow, but hey who cares)
3. How much is the average cost of a pint
4. Overall peoples oppinions on the ultimate accomadation area
5. What are the best clubs
6. Is Heaven and hell any good, it sounds proper great
7. Whether its a good idea to get absolutely wasted on the first night
8. Average cost of a night out
9. Whether the supermarket on campus is any good
10. Whats this fruity night at the union supposed to be like

Ok now post away and give me some decent advice, Cheers people:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Maroon 5 and keane gigs are already sold out :frown:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
1. Girls to boys ratio
No to sure on the actual Ratio, but its usually balanced. However, i notice a huge increase at seasonal occassions on the girls part.

The majority are beautiful, but i have noticed most are students. Yorkshire Girls have a little weight problem going on at the moment from binge drinking! (No offence to Yorkshire girls)

The pint is usually cheap dependent on where you are headingly is probably the cheapest and as you progress nearer to club venues the price goes up.

Never seen it.

Creation
Majesyk
(These are the only ones i've been to, but thats coz they're the student places)

Alot of Students nickname it Heaven and Smell, so either thats for the weed in the RnB room or just coz it sticks, never been but the one in Barnsley isn't mind blowing.

Yeah! Are stupid? Just make sure on the bar crawl night you pace yourselfs. otherwise you won't get into the clubs.

You're probably looking at £40-60 for heavy sesions. I've made it out £5-10, my average is £15, but im T-Total. The most I've spent is £50, but that was down to the 3 bottles of champas we bought at xmas!

Again don't know.

Its been voted one of the best students nights in the UK from an article i read on the BBC site.

Hope I helped in some small way.
Reply 3
Cheers matey, now i'm even more eager to get out of this shit hole, known as stoke, we've got the same problem here as well with the drinking binges, so how long have you being studying at leeds?
Reply 4
I've never studied at Leeds bud, I start my post-grad this year.

I've been at Hull Uni for the past three years, but i work in Sheffield on Weekends and live in Barnsley. Could call me a traveler!

However, I occasionally go out in Leeds and thankfully i've yet to be disappointed. Wait til Xmas gets nearer, the clubs are wicked, xmas paty every wednesday more or less come decmeber.

I got a mate down in Stoke, shes not big on it either! lol
Reply 5
1. Girls to boys ratio
Pretty even, to be honest, its never going to be significantly different, law of averages says so!

Yes, (and I'm female!) There always seemed to be an abundence of very pretty girls, walking round campus there are very few ugl girls, just the occassional one who doesn't make much of an effort (the sort who'd be stunning if they got a decent hair cut and nice clothes)

Dunno, I don't drink pints, I drink girly spirits. It all cheap during the week though, everywhere has offers on for cheap drinks, just make sure you follow the offers round!

Do you mean the best flats, or generally the best area to live? The greatest general area is Headingley. Its the ultimate student experience. Loads of little cafes and restaurants and funky pubs and bars. Its full of students with hardly any locals, and your never more then 5 minutes walk from the nearest off licence and bus stop. As for accomadation, gotta be Clarence Dock (but I'm incredible biased!)

It all depends on your taste. A personal favourite is Fab Cafe. Very Retro, loads of comic books on the walls and memorabilia, and they sell Pot Noodles and penny sweets at the bar!

Its very cheesy and has very sticky floors, lots of choice for the music, nice and cheap, I have a feeling they do an all you can drink night, but couldn't tell you when though

So long as everyone else is, don't make a fool out of yourself before people get to know you

It really depends where and when you go. If you take advantage of all the cheap offers you can get extremely drunk for £30 (including a taxi and kebab on the way home!) Check out Bondi Beach Bar for the ultimate cheap night

Nope, its truely pants, its not cheap and theres not much choice, take a quick trip to Morrisons in town, much cheaper and everything you could want

Personally I can't stand Fruity, but thats mainly because of the people I've been with (my housemate who knows everyone and tended to just ditch me in a corner) I can see how it would be a good night though, a variety of music (and choice with two rooms going) Loads of promotions, relatively cheap drinks, no locals!
Reply 6
Amazing i cant wait, a bar that sells peeny sweets, how cool is that, i was a bit aprehensive of moving to a big city where i dnt know anyone at all, but now i'm positive i've made the right choice, i cnt wait, now the only thing thats worrying me is a job, i've got the choice to get a transfer and work at the revolution bar in leeds, but i dnt want to work shit loads of clubbing nights, and i want a easy weekend day job, and can't decide whether to work in a clothes shop or a cafe? thanks for your help
Reply 7
Morrisons are always recruiting, so if you get in early you'll probably get a job and get discount on food!& booze!

Work conditions aren't the greatest, but money is and i think my cousin who worked there said the hours are flexible.

My advice is that if you're doing barwork you'll become alot more popular very quickly, students always take advantage of mates working behind bars coz its faster service. Warning just make sure its not a club, becaue after finishing work you can go to the club with your mates.

In Hull if you worked bars or clubs your wage slip gets you in free to clubs, don't know if thats the same in leeds, might be discounted! This is a bonus on a weekend because its £10entry!!! (Have you heard anything like that happening in Leeds Dizzy?)
Reply 8
get a job at tesco like me, i got a transfer because being a trolly dolly is the best job ever...easy, easy money
Reply 9
cheers 4 ur advice, Well i loved working behind the bar bk here cuz everyone knew me then, but u see i dnt want to work late nights, cuz thats when i want to be out, pulling, and drinking, morrisons and tescos sounds quite good as long as it was only saturdays and sunday days, isn't there any bar jobs where u can just work days, what do u think about getting a job at h & m or topman?
Reply 10
wen i applied for my transfer i put down i cud only work 6-11 mon-thur, and i would only do 2of these shifts. hav i done the wrong thing then, should i be working w/e day times?
Reply 11
U dont want to be working these days pal, for christ sake ur going to be a uni student and most of the big nights at the uni are mid week(or so i've heard), plus even the days u dnt go out u'll be fucked cuz u'll hae shit loads of work to do, and u really won't feel like it, plus then what happens if u get a bird there, when will u see and have "fun" with her, with me if i cnt find another job i'll just get job at next, cuz i've alredy worked there for two years and was merit sales so i'm sure they'll gve me day job hopefully..., where do u think the coolest place to work would be, and dnt say sum bar cuz i cant be arsed with late nights
Reply 12
welll iv worked at kidderminster sainburys for the last 2 and half years but the morons wont give me a transfer so when i get up there im going to apply to the sainsburys cus i allready know the job and its not bad pay and stuff! or maybe morrisons would be a good idea to apply to as most people say its good work!
Reply 13
so do u know for defo that mrrisons is recruiting, cuz that would be ideal, cheaper food, easy hours and easy job
Reply 14
Jet-Black
Morrisons are always recruiting, so if you get in early you'll probably get a job and get discount on food!& booze!

Work conditions aren't the greatest, but money is and i think my cousin who worked there said the hours are flexible.

My advice is that if you're doing barwork you'll become alot more popular very quickly, students always take advantage of mates working behind bars coz its faster service. Warning just make sure its not a club, becaue after finishing work you can go to the club with your mates.

In Hull if you worked bars or clubs your wage slip gets you in free to clubs, don't know if thats the same in leeds, might be discounted! This is a bonus on a weekend because its £10entry!!! (Have you heard anything like that happening in Leeds Dizzy?)

HAven't got a clue, all my friends who did bar work worked for the uni, either in the union or in the Clarence Dock bar
Reply 15
SirWhale
wen i applied for my transfer i put down i cud only work 6-11 mon-thur, and i would only do 2of these shifts. hav i done the wrong thing then, should i be working w/e day times?

a fellow tesco transfer person, im transferring up to liverpool. not that thats exciting, just thought i'd say... :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Not sure if morrisons are recruiting for sure, but with so many students around they should open books.

As for H&M and Topman weekends jobs at these places are great, money isn't though. Come October they'll be recruiting alot if not already, we're talking weekends and evenings, which is ideal.

Personally when i was at Hull, i travelled back Friday lunch to Sheffield to work 20 hours friday through to sunday and drove back sunday night. £100 is what i earned £35 of which went on petrol. Paid off coz i got my washing done by mummy as well! :smile:

However, i'm currently on £5-6 an hour, most retail places put you on £4something not exculding national insurance. hence why supermarkets are great more money! Although its to much work for me i enjoy just standing round chatting to people lol.

Hope i've helped.
Reply 17
it seems to be i'm going to jobs which pay less and less anyway, i was first paid £6 an hour at the butchers, but i got fired for sleeping with the owners daughter, then i worked at next where i was paid £5.21 and then i was at revs who were paying £4.70 something, i think theres a pattern ammerging, it seems if i could get either a supermarket or cafe job in which i only work saturday and sunday days that would be ideal, dependant on them being close or a bus ride away, cuz u see although i can drive, i cant afford a car nor insurance, nor petrol and road tax etc, do u know if the supermarkets are close?
Reply 18
Im picking up a job at footlocker :biggrin:
Reply 19
JazzyJay
but i got fired for sleeping with the owners daughter

LOL! cool \o/

I'll probably find a job too..I would prefer to have it in manchester over the weekends tho.

Latest