How to be promoted to a Corporal or Sergeant at cadets.

Watch this thread
Spoderman:)
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A lot of people ask this question but there isn't really a proper answer (at least not that I could find from the internet) I'm a sergeant in the Air cadets so I'm not sure how the standards may differ across different cadet groups, but nevertheless, here are some ways to get promoted.

1) Have a good relationship with the staff. You don't have to be an arse licker to do this, just be polite and courteous. Show them that you are keen by asking if there is anything for you to do. This is important because at the end of the day, it's the staff that make the decision of whether you are getting promoted or not.
2) Sign up for EVERYTHING. Literally, even if it's lame like a drill or radio course you can learn some "valuable" skills and show the staff what a great addition to the cadet community you are *sarcasm*
3) Go on annual camps. Not only are annual camps pretty awesome, but they usually teach you some stuff to, not only that but you get the opportunity to fly planes and **** (if you are in the air cadets at least, army cadets are lame and sea cadets AKA "puddle pirates" are much worse)
4) Work your way through the classification system, all the way from first class to master cadet.
5) Be well turned out, chances are, you probably won't be promoted if your uniform is **** so make sure it is up to standard.
6)Do a PNCO or JNCO course. You learn LOADS.
7) Plan your own nights, make some decent parade night ideas, this will show initiative and creativity.
8) Have good attendance. You could be the perfect cadet but if you only come down once every two weeks you aren't going to get promoted.

So that's kind of all I have for now. If you have any other tips please do let me know, so yeah, those of you going for promotions, good luck!
princssbubblegum
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
So a week ago I was promoted to corporal but I want to know what I need to do to enable that I get promoted to sergeant asap...
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by princssbubblegum)
So a week ago I was promoted to corporal but I want to know what I need to do to enable that I get promoted to sergeant asap...
That depends on what cadet force you are in. If the ACF, you need to complete your 3 Star. Other cadet forces, who knows?

The list above works quite well. My thoughts would be as follows:

• Delegate tasks to junior NCOs where necessary.
  • Make sure cadets' kit is good for parade. Don't rip into them as people will just think your on a power trip. Point out what is wrong and help them correct it.
  • Volunteer for things before being asked. I often tell my senior cadets as a group that I would like them to help out with things. I like to see who volunteers before I actually ask them individually. It makes me happy when they talk to me first.
  • Take advantage of training opportunities offered to you. Don't think "do I want to go on this?", think "is there anything stopping me from going on this?". Progress is good and some course are only offered once or twice a year.
  • If you put your name down for something, make sure you can go. There is nothing I hate more than a cadet, especially an NCO, tell me a few days before an event or course that they cannot go because they are working. Employment at your age is overrated anyway!
  • Remember that a sergeant is a Senior NCO (SNCO), and as a SNCO you will be expected to show responsibility for the cadets and JNCOs beneath you. You need to show that you can do that, and that you can no longer be the best mate of every cadet. That doesn't mean be nasty to them, it means that sometimes you have to do things that aren't always popular with them. An example would be if one cadet was being picked on online by some other cadets. Your first action should be to speak to them to stop it, and if that does not work to tell an instructor.
  • If there is a problem, try to find a solution.
rhiannantaylor
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I got promoted to Cpl in February do you think it is too early to go for sgt.
IssyEmsy
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
no not at all, go for it i’m sure you can get promoted to sgt in little amount of time. honestly there’s a cadet in my sqn and when i first joined he had just became a cpl but then became sgt just before the first lockdown, and during the lockdown he has ranked up to FS and now recently became a CWO. keep trying because it’s amazing at how easily you can be ranked up in this time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (38)
32.48%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (53)
45.3%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (25)
21.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.85%

Watched Threads