The Student Room Group

What to do in frees?

Every Monday I have four frees and then a lesson last.
I get a school bus to school and have to be there from first lesson.
What can I do to make use of these frees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe try find a volunteering placement for somewhere near by.
Study!

I go to a coffee shop for a couple of hours away from everyone else and do some college work. The environment works for me.
Another thing you could do: when I was in sixth form I volunteered on Friday morning during my frees in a day centre next to the school. Volunteering could be a good use of time.
Reply 3
Try to go over the topics that you don't understand. I tend to do munch homework during my frees so that I can revise when I get home. Also make a list of what you're struggling with in the subject you take so that you can focus on them and also so that you can ask your teachers for help when you see them straightaway or you can read ahead of the class so that you will have a better understanding of the topics when the teacher teaches you. I do that a lot because I'm a slow learner do I always need to be one step ahead. Above all,never be idle!
Reply 4
I know someone from my school with this name. Do you go to wallington girls ?

Original post by Niamh3213
Studying is a brilliant use of your time. Writing notes and making revision notes etc. If you're year 12 then I understand how it can see pointless but when you get to this time next year you'll wish you spent more time revising! Or volunteering would also be great, especially if you want to apply for something like medicine or teaching as it might help convince you that it's definitely for you.

Literally nothing.

Oh sorry, I thought you were asking me what I would do in my 4 frees :biggrin:
Your best option would be to sit in a quiet area and go over the stuff you don't understand for the last week during the first part and then go through everything else quickly so you understand what you were taught the week before. I find it particularly helpful to make notes on what I don't know and make a list of questions. I can then go to my teachers in the free lessons and clarify any issues I have. This way, throughout the week, I find that the stuff I don't know doesn't bother me as much and I can do my work much quicker.

Another you can do is to maybe ask your school if they would allow you to do volunteering during the morning. Try approaching a primary school close to your school and as them whether you can help there. I tried to do this and got told I could. However, due to timetable changes, it isn't possible but I'm sure if you do that, it would extremely useful for you in terms of your university applications and interviews.
Original post by Bubs051213
Studying is a brilliant use of your time. Writing notes and making revision notes etc. If you're year 12 then I understand how it can see pointless but when you get to this time next year you'll wish you spent more time revising! Or volunteering would also be great, especially if you want to apply for something like medicine or teaching as it might help convince you that it's definitely for you.

Yeah I always do my homework as I get it so I only have two bits of homework tonight anyway
Then I've already rewritten all my biology notes and I don't rewrite any other notes
I suppose I have a history test on Wednesday so I could revise for that
But it's just 4 hours of sitting in the library
Last week I went in at 12pm and I was bored out of my mind by the time it got to my lesson!
I don't think I really could do volunteering then. I already volunteer anyway haha
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Literally nothing.

Oh sorry, I thought you were asking me what I would do in my 4 frees :biggrin:

Haha yeah but it's tiring just doing nothing
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Your best option would be to sit in a quiet area and go over the stuff you don't understand for the last week during the first part and then go through everything else quickly so you understand what you were taught the week before. I find it particularly helpful to make notes on what I don't know and make a list of questions. I can then go to my teachers in the free lessons and clarify any issues I have. This way, throughout the week, I find that the stuff I don't know doesn't bother me as much and I can do my work much quicker.

Another you can do is to maybe ask your school if they would allow you to do volunteering during the morning. Try approaching a primary school close to your school and as them whether you can help there. I tried to do this and got told I could. However, due to timetable changes, it isn't possible but I'm sure if you do that, it would extremely useful for you in terms of your university applications and interviews.

I usually would have done that in the weekend
I don't have masses of work to be doing and I don't have the motivation to sit in school for 4 hours without a lesson
I hate frees because I can't focus at all and when I can I get really easily tired.

That's actually a really good idea thanks
Literally just revise it's not a tough think

Even if you think there's nothing to revise either look harder or make something to revise
I usually would have done that in the weekend
I don't have masses of work to be doing and I don't have the motivation to sit in school for 4 hours without a lesson
I hate frees because I can't focus at all and when I can I get really easily tired.

That's actually a really good idea thanks

You could ask your teacher for suggestions on additional reading?
Original post by mythical.6
Literally just revise it's not a tough think

Even if you think there's nothing to revise either look harder or make something to revise

I know it's just really boring. I can do it at home but at school it's so hard to sit still and focus without getting distracted or really tired
Original post by Muttley79
You could ask your teacher for suggestions on additional reading?

Yeah I've actually got two lists of books. It just seems so expensive because I don't think the school library has any of them

I feel the same way because I always get my work done in class and do homework at home and I don't even get much
Original post by Reece.W.J
I feel the same way because I always get my work done in class and do homework at home and I don't even get much

Yeah exactly. Sometimes I wish I just had a lesson rather than a free because I'm so much more productive
- Catch up on revision (sounds boring I know but it helps)
- Read a book.
- Volunteer (Great for a CV)
- Go out and so something you have never done, such as find a cool new shop, buy a funky hat or try something adventurous on a drinks menu.

There's so much to choose. Spend time wisely :P
Original post by totobi
I know someone from my school with this name. Do you go to wallington girls ?

No sorry
Original post by JaffaNeko
- Catch up on revision (sounds boring I know but it helps)
- Read a book.
- Volunteer (Great for a CV)
- Go out and so something you have never done, such as find a cool new shop, buy a funky hat or try something adventurous on a drinks menu.

There's so much to choose. Spend time wisely :P

Haha I'd love to find a cool new shop but my town isn't that interesting!
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest