The Student Room Group

art history of business a-level?!

I really want to study Digital Media at Middlesex University (I am not sure what my Insurance is going to be at the moment, possibly London Metro or UEL?) and I was wondering which A-Level I should study.

Considering I want to study Media at University and my course teaches us about things like video game and internet culture, social media, web design, HTML and everything in-between, should i do History of Art or Business A-Level?.

some info:
I already know I want to study Film Studies (self study) and Media Studies at A-Level.

I am just below average in Maths (got 31% in my Year 10 exam) and I am predicted a 4 in my GCSE but I have a lot of common sense.

I have never done or even experienced either of these A-Levels before and I have no idea what to expect from either of them ( I have a general idea but I'm still a bit unsure)

I really do not want to do an A-Level that is too Maths intensive or do a subject where Math is an important part of the course. Should I still do Business?.

I like Art, but I hate making Art ( I regret Art GCSE), I have never studied History of Art in an academic context, I like contemporary (post-1899) art but I don't really care for anything before this period. Should I still do Art History?

I am not very good at memorising long terminologies or remembering a lot of dates at all, I can remember key terms and general things like that but I am not good when it comes to regurgitating.

Business is Edexcel
History of Art is AQA.

some things to consider:
Which one goes well with Media and Film Studies?
Which one makes more sense for my course?
Which one would be more valuable for a career in Social Media?
Which one is less memory based and more application based?
What is your experience with any of these a-levels?, would you recommend I even do them?, I don't plan on applying to any Russell Groups as none have the course I want to study so I don't really care about reputation.

I am going into Sixth Form next year (I'm in Year 11) So I have a while to decide but it will be helpful to know soon so I can prepare for next year. Thanks for any replies
I have no experience with business, but I am currently in year 12 and I absolutely LOVE :heart: Art History, I would absolutely encourage you to study it. I wouldn't worry about hating Art GCSE, a couple of people in my class haven't even studied art and are getting on fine as it is entirely written content, and it's nothing like Art GCSE anyway. Out of all my A-Levels (English, Art and German), Art History is by far the most fascinating, and it is extremely transferable to other subjects (especially Media, which a lot of people in my class also study). Also, it will also differentiate you from other university applicants when you come to that, as it is not widely taught.
On the other hand I would recommend you read the specification, as a fair amount of the content focuses on Classical art (I thought this would be boring as I too prefer contemporary art, however I am actually finding it fascinating!!).
I hope this was somewhat helpful, feel free to ask me any further questions!
Original post by scarletdeans
I have no experience with business, but I am currently in year 12 and I absolutely LOVE :heart: Art History, I would absolutely encourage you to study it. I wouldn't worry about hating Art GCSE, a couple of people in my class haven't even studied art and are getting on fine as it is entirely written content, and it's nothing like Art GCSE anyway. Out of all my A-Levels (English, Art and German), Art History is by far the most fascinating, and it is extremely transferable to other subjects (especially Media, which a lot of people in my class also study). Also, it will also differentiate you from other university applicants when you come to that, as it is not widely taught.
On the other hand I would recommend you read the specification, as a fair amount of the content focuses on Classical art (I thought this would be boring as I too prefer contemporary art, however I am actually finding it fascinating!!).
I hope this was somewhat helpful, feel free to ask me any further questions!

It sounds really interesting!, I am definitely considering it as my third. Another thing, how many exams do you take for History of Art?, how do the examinations work for it?. Thank you for replying it really helped :smile:
Original post by Isabel Aghahowa
It sounds really interesting!, I am definitely considering it as my third. Another thing, how many exams do you take for History of Art?, how do the examinations work for it?. Thank you for replying it really helped :smile:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/history-of-art/2017/specification-and-sample-assessments/specification-and-sample-assessments-GCE-HISOFART-SPEC.pdf
I have linked the specification, if you go to page 34 then it details the two exams in detail. Essentially though, there are two 3 hour exams which are both worth 50% of the final grade; the majority of the questions require you to analyse various pieces of work (some are unseen, and some you will have studied for the exam). Hopefully I haven't made the exams sound too tedious, they actually cover some really interesting content.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/history-of-art/2017/specification-and-sample-assessments/GCE-HISOFART-SAMS.pdf - This document contains a sample paper if you are interested in seeing the format of the exam.
Original post by Isabel Aghahowa
I really want to study Digital Media at Middlesex University (I am not sure what my Insurance is going to be at the moment, possibly London Metro or UEL?) and I was wondering which A-Level I should study.

Considering I want to study Media at University and my course teaches us about things like video game and internet culture, social media, web design, HTML and everything in-between, should i do History of Art or Business A-Level?.

some info:
I already know I want to study Film Studies (self study) and Media Studies at A-Level.

I am just below average in Maths (got 31% in my Year 10 exam) and I am predicted a 4 in my GCSE but I have a lot of common sense.

I have never done or even experienced either of these A-Levels before and I have no idea what to expect from either of them ( I have a general idea but I'm still a bit unsure)

I really do not want to do an A-Level that is too Maths intensive or do a subject where Math is an important part of the course. Should I still do Business?.

I like Art, but I hate making Art ( I regret Art GCSE), I have never studied History of Art in an academic context, I like contemporary (post-1899) art but I don't really care for anything before this period. Should I still do Art History?

I am not very good at memorising long terminologies or remembering a lot of dates at all, I can remember key terms and general things like that but I am not good when it comes to regurgitating.

Business is Edexcel
History of Art is AQA.

some things to consider:
Which one goes well with Media and Film Studies?
Which one makes more sense for my course?
Which one would be more valuable for a career in Social Media?
Which one is less memory based and more application based?
What is your experience with any of these a-levels?, would you recommend I even do them?, I don't plan on applying to any Russell Groups as none have the course I want to study so I don't really care about reputation.

I am going into Sixth Form next year (I'm in Year 11) So I have a while to decide but it will be helpful to know soon so I can prepare for next year. Thanks for any replies

Hello,

I have graduated in the School of Media and I absolutely loved it!
There are amazing facilities, from the newsroom, to the tv studio, to the Adobe suite room!
The great thing about Digital Media is that you really get to have a mix between theory and practice :smile: There won't be exams but only presentations, essays and group work. If you are interested in Social Media, this is definitely the right for you!

We are running an Open day on the 7th of October, if you would like to have a look: www.mdx.ac.uk/opendays.

You can also watch this video to get a better idea of what the course is like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5Rvfs2eVs

Hope to see you at the Open day on Saturday!
Have a great day

Ludovica

Quick Reply

Latest