The Student Room Group

Mansfield or Brasenose College? - Oxford University

Hi everyone!
I'm applying to Oxford this year for History, and I've recently been stumped: I cannot decide between Mansfield or Brasenose college.
I'm currently in a state school, so I thought Mansfield would help out a lot with this. Not only this, but the humanitarian Principal sounds amazing, and I'm really into their human rights club.
On the other hand, Brasenose's setting and 'Arts Week' really appeals to me!
Thought some people could give a little insight so I can make an informed decision?
(I don't want to make an open application either!)
Thank you so much!
Molly
Original post by wasmolly_
Hi everyone!
I'm applying to Oxford this year for History, and I've recently been stumped: I cannot decide between Mansfield or Brasenose college.
I'm currently in a state school, so I thought Mansfield would help out a lot with this. Not only this, but the humanitarian Principal sounds amazing, and I'm really into their human rights club.
On the other hand, Brasenose's setting and 'Arts Week' really appeals to me!
Thought some people could give a little insight so I can make an informed decision?
(I don't want to make an open application either!)
Thank you so much!
Molly

I went to Brasenose, and I came from the equivalent of a state school in my country. People are generally very welcoming and friendly, and they don't really care about which school you went to (this is true of all colleges, not just Brasenose).

In fact, a majority of UK students starting in October 2017 at Brasenose are from state schools, and the % is above the university average (https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1780-applying-to-brasenose).

Also, can confirm that Arts Week is awesome fun :biggrin:
Reply 2
Riding on this thread, I am also considering Mansfield but I am an international student from a private school. Should I read into the "highest % of state school students" claimed by Mansfield too much? Any college has better acceptance (or vice versa) for international student? or this does not play at all in the admission process?
Original post by nphw
Riding on this thread, I am also considering Mansfield but I am an international student from a private school. Should I read into the "highest % of state school students" claimed by Mansfield too much? Any college has better acceptance (or vice versa) for international student? or this does not play at all in the admission process?

Absolutely not. The tutors don't care one iota whether you're international (unless you're applying for medicine, which has a government-imposed quota).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending