The Student Room Group

Can I do computer science?

I want to apply for computer science at uni but im worried I dont have enough prior knowledge to be able to keep up in the course. I did computing GCSE and loved it (which is what has made me want to do it at uni) but didnt do it at A-Level due to my school not doing it. How much do you need to know theory and programming wise, Ive done some python and java on codecadmey and can always go over some a level theory, but would this be enough?

I do maths and further maths at a level
(edited 6 years ago)
I go to Kings College London and am now in my 2nd year studying Computer Science with a Year in Industry. I went into with maths and further maths at level, and with no prior programming knowledge (I just knew html). In the first year, they taught is Java, SQL, we did a bit of Arduino and then PDDL. Though Java was the most dominant. It was difficult and very time consuming, though I still had time for a part time job and I came out of the year with a 2:1 (I failed my coding theory exam by 2% so I need to re-take that). If you like computer science, maths and coding, then I'll think that you'll like the course. Though it isn't a walk in the park so be prepared for long hours spent in front of your laptop trying to figure out why your code isn't compiling only to find out that you've got your method names mixed up.

Already, you're at a better place than I was because I knew nothing about coding other than the fact that I want to learn how to create apps, websites and other cool software like that. Usually, these computer science courses are aimed at people with no prior knowledge of coding, though the course at Kings was very fast paced. I think you'll be perfectly fine if you work hard and stay motivated.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might want answered!
Reply 2
Original post by _illuminating
I go to Kings College London and am now in my 2nd year studying Computer Science with a Year in Industry. I went into with maths and further maths at level, and with no prior programming knowledge (I just knew html). In the first year, they taught is Java, SQL, we did a bit of Arduino and then PDDL. Though Java was the most dominant. It was difficult and very time consuming, though I still had time for a part time job and I came out of the year with a 2:1 (I failed my coding theory exam by 2% so I need to re-take that). If you like computer science, maths and coding, then I'll think that you'll like the course. Though it isn't a walk in the park so be prepared for long hours spent in front of your laptop trying to figure out why your code isn't compiling only to find out that you've got your method names mixed up.

Already, you're at a better place than I was because I knew nothing about coding other than the fact that I want to learn how to create apps, websites and other cool software like that. Usually, these computer science courses are aimed at people with no prior knowledge of coding, though the course at Kings was very fast paced. I think you'll be perfectly fine if you work hard and stay motivated.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might want answered!

Thanks a lot for your help, what about the theory side of the course ? How much would I need to know in terms of the content which isn’t programming ?
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm thinking of switching to Computer Science for my second year, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up.
Original post by gknight557
Thanks a lot for your help, what about the theory side of the course ? How much would I need to know in terms of the content which isn’t programming ?

I went into it with absolutely no prior knowledge about the theory part though, during the course, especially in the second semester, they did teach a lot about theory. Our final coding exam was also on theory seeing as our module was split into 60% practical coursework assignments and 40% theory exam.

If you wanted, you could brush up with some theory knowledge before you go in, you definitely wouldn't miss out on anything that way. But they should teach you, depending on the Uni, I guess. If I could go back to my first year, I would spend my summer learning Java, just to make my life easier.

Don't stress too much about what you do know and what you don't know because, trust me, when you get there, you won't be the brightest one there because you'll most likely find people who have been coding for more than a decade while there'll be others who are still struggling with accessor and mutator methods in the second semester.

What Uni's are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 5
Original post by _illuminating
I went into it with absolutely no prior knowledge about the theory part though, during the course, especially in the second semester, they did teach a lot about theory. Our final coding exam was also on theory seeing as our module was split into 60% practical coursework assignments and 40% theory exam.

If you wanted, you could brush up with some theory knowledge before you go in, you definitely wouldn't miss out on anything that way. But they should teach you, depending on the Uni, I guess. If I could go back to my first year, I would spend my summer learning Java, just to make my life easier.

Don't stress too much about what you do know and what you don't know because, trust me, when you get there, you won't be the brightest one there because you'll most likely find people who have been coding for more than a decade while there'll be others who are still struggling with accessor and mutator methods in the second semester.

What Uni's are you thinking of applying to?

Oh right that makes me feel a lot better thank you, I’m looking at mmu,ntu,dmu, and Lincoln atm.
Our first year was split into 7 modules. One of which (worth 30 credits) was purely programming. The remaining 6 (all worth 15 credits each) are as follows: Elementary Logic with Applications. This was difficult going into as it was really different than anything I had ever done. This module was pretty much 90% theory based with some implementations and proofs and stuff.

Computer Systems 1 was all about the the systems and what not. We played around with the Arduino in this module where the coursework was worth 15%. We learn about binary and the different computer systems that are out there.

Foundations of Computing 1, this was all pretty much math.

Introduction to Artificial Intelligence, this was interesting. We learn about different systems and definitions and stuff. We had a group project were we had to code in PDDL. It was worth 30%.

Database Management Systems, all about the database. We learnt SQL here.

Data Structures, this was a blend of Java and math. It was more difficult than Foundations, but still manageable.
Reply 7
Original post by SamediEtDimanche
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm thinking of switching to Computer Science for my second year, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up.

What uni are you at now?
Original post by gknight557
Oh right that makes me feel a lot better thank you, I’m looking at mmu,ntu,dmu, and Lincoln atm.

I wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending