This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1281 - Commonwealth Development Fund Bill 2017, TSR Ukip

Commonwealth Development Fund Bill 2017

A BILL TO enshrine a commitment for 25% of international aid spending towards Commonwealth countries into law

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: For the purpose of this act;
(1) Fund refers to the Commonwealth Development Fund.
(2) Commonwealth country refers to any state that is currently a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
(3) Secretary of State refers to the Secretary of State for International Development.
(4) Department refers to the Department for International Development.

2: Creation of Fund
(1) A Commonwealth Development Fund shall be created.
(2) The Department of International Development shall run the Fund and its operations.
(3) 25% of all international aid spending shall be put into the Fund.
(i) This applies regardless of other legally binding commitments regarding international aid spending.

3: Purpose of Fund
(1) Spending from the Fund will be restricted to Commonwealth countries only.
(2) At least one fifth of the Fund’s funding (at least 5% of international aid spending) will be awarded to the Commonwealth Foundation.
(3) Any funds not awarded to the Commonwealth Foundation shall be spent as seen fit by the Secretary of State and the Department, within the provisions set out in clause 3(1)
(i) These funds will be subject to all legal restrictions on international aid spending.
(4) If these funds are spent on Commonwealth countries, they may be considered to have contributed towards the 25% target.

4: Extent, commencement and short title
(1) This bill may be cited as the Commonwealth Development Fund Bill 2017.
(2) This bill will extend to the United Kingdom
(3) This bill will come into force upon royal assent

Notes

This fund is set up to help the poorer nations within the commonwealth. The UK should have the duty to help countries where we have deep historical ties and strengthen our relationships with them.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, on the grounds that we should abolish aid spending and the DFID altogether.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's nice to see a pleasant bill from UKIP for once, but no compelling enough reason has been given for me to support this. Nay.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Nay, on the grounds that we should abolish aid spending and the DFID altogether.
I agree with the honorable gentleman that foreign aid should be reduced. However we should also help poorer countries that share British history and offer aid to our overseas territory when they are in need. This will help strengthen our relationship with them. This bill reduces aid spending on non commonwealth countries (where we have no historical ties) and spends it on commonwealth countries.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
I agree with the honorable gentleman that foreign aid should be reduced. However we should also help poorer countries that share British history and offer aid to our overseas territory when they are in need. This will help strengthen our relationship with them. This bill reduces aid spending on non commonwealth countries (where we have no historical ties) and spends it on commonwealth countries.
Who cares about whether or not we have historical ties? We are still spending the money on rubbish...

India, for example, is the current biggest benefactor of foreign aid from us (they are also a member of the commonwealth and would receive even more under your plan) and most of it goes towards stuff like sports fields and stadiums, not towards reducing poverty, what an absolute waste of the British taxpayer's money!
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who cares about whether or not we have historical ties? We are still spending the money on rubbish...

India, for example, is the current biggest benefactor of foreign aid from us (they are also a member of the commonwealth and would receive even more under your plan) and most of it goes towards stuff like sports fields and stadiums, not towards reducing poverty, what an absolute waste of the British taxpayer's money!

I agree however reducing or even aboloshing foreign aid will never pass with this left wing establishment. So as good alternative if we are to spend money on foreign aid we might as well spend it on commonwealth countries than spending it non commonwealth countries.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree however reducing or even aboloshing foreign aid will never pass with this left wing establishment. So as good alternative if we are to spend money on foreign aid we might as well spend it on commonwealth countries than spending it non commonwealth countries.
I disagree - I would say it doesn't make a difference and is just as bad either way.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No good reason to do this – unless UKIP are suggesting some sort of reparations of course, though I assume that's not the case.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I disagree - I would say it doesn't make a difference and is just as bad either way.

I view it as a good alternative if anything. I could have the fund be restricted to humanitarian purposes only. So the money goes to the poor directly (water, food, medicine etc....)
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
No good reason to do this – unless UKIP are suggesting some sort of reparations of course, though I assume that's not the case.
If there was some natural disaster in a commonwealth country we can use the money from the fund to offer aid.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If there was some natural disaster in a commonwealth country we can use the money from the fund to offer aid.
Why would we not extend that to any non-Commonwealth country as well?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm abstaining on this one. I can see the merits and can fully understand our international obligations based on history. But also understand the plight of other nations and wouldn't wish to see support cut for them as a result of this bill.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How original. This is almost a word-for-word copy of the ironically named Commonwealth Development Fund Bill in the Reddit forum, with slightest of changes. If anyone wants to see how similar it is to the one on Reddit feel free to do so here.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree foreign aid should be stopped, however, spending foreign aid on countries Britain has close ties to is an improvement on how things are when the support to stop foreign aid does not exist in the MHoC.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay, there is no good reason to prioritise the Commonwealth.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.

It seems to be a prelude and a back door way towards cutting aid. Natural and man-made disasters where support is given and long-term development projects are not restricted to the Commonwealth. In any case, I thought one of the main criticisms of the recent aid programme often cited is giving money to aid projects in Pakistan and India, who are both in the Commonwealth.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This bill entered cessation and has now entered division.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed