The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

Name: Sophie
Predicted grades: A*AB
Course: English
Why SOAS: No other uni has an English course like the one at SOAS. I love how they've decolonised their course and it would be amazing to have the opportunity to analyse literature from my own culture.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by jmfllws0010
name: jamie
predicted grades: ABB (A in EPQ)
course: korean
why soas: i love the language focus in the course
other: sheffield, uclan

Got my offer a few days ago for BBB + A/A* in EPQ
Reply 62
Name: Karisma
Predicted grades: 39 points for IB at 766.
Course: Politics and Economics
Why SOAS: Unique modules.

Submitted on the 5th of Dec. Got an offer (37, 666) today, the 22nd of Dec.
Name: Maryam
Predicted grades: 36 points for IB and 665 HL
Course: Management
Why SOAS: I like the degree and the fact that I can specialize in the middle east and north africa
(edited 6 years ago)
I have had 2 different emails from SOAS acknowledging my application only 4 days after applying.
Anyone applying for Bsc in Management? I've been sent an acknowledgement email but was wondering how long they usually take to make a decision...
Name: Luca
Predicted grades: 78/100
Course: History and Thai,Thai and religious
Why SOAS: It is the only one that can offer thai courses not including Leeds
Other:
(edited 6 years ago)
Is Anyone keen on Thai courses at SOAS?
Original post by sygnae
Has anybody else applied for South East Asian studies? SOAS is my first choice (fingers crossed for an offer!!! 🤞)

Funny story applied for south east asian studies by accident but I got an offer for it around a month ago , was able to change my degree to IR and south asian studies anyways.
Reply 69
Applied for Arabic & Politics at SOAS on 21st Dec and got my acknowledgement email 23rd Dec I think. Haven't heard from them since but I'm not *too* worried as I got two offers from Leeds (I applied there twice). Only thing I'm slightly concerned about is SOAS prefers an a level language for Arabic & pol, and I don't even do a levels let alone a language. I do access to humanities and I can speak French after working in France last year. Oh well, very curious to see what SOAS respond but I'm not overly worried either way.
Name: Jessica
Predicted grades: AAB
Course: Linguistics
Why SOAS: I went to the summer school earlier this year and I loved the vibe of the uni. I also love the non Eurocentric approach of the subjects.
Name: Lucy
I received a conditional AAA offer for international relations which I was soooo over the moon about as, in my opinion, its one of the best courses for IR in the world. Lemme know if you have received an offer would love to compare the process x
name: jess
grades: bbb
course: english and korean
why soas: the course is very specific - bc of this it feels almost tailor-made for me! haven’t quite got the grades but thought i would persist with my application regardless. great vibes when i visited ❤️
Reply 73
Name: Lina
Predicted grades: ABB
Course: Social anthropology & Korean
Why SOAS: Only uni that offered combo of anthropology and korean, plus I loved the atmosphere/vibe on the open day. Soas just seems really unique!

I sent my application on the UCAS deadline (yesterday lol) & applied for pure social anthropology as well..
Good luck guysss
Original post by PinkUnicornQueen
Name: Maryam
Predicted grades: 36 points for IB and 665 HL
Course: Management
Why SOAS: I like the degree and the fact that I can specialize in the middle east and north africa

Update: Just got a conditional offer 35 points and 665 HL (13 days after I applied).
Name: Vishwa
Predicted grades: A*AA
Course: International relations
Why SOAS: Modules looked fun
Original post by procrastinatorl
Name: Lucy
I received a conditional AAA offer for international relations which I was soooo over the moon about as, in my opinion, its one of the best courses for IR in the world. Lemme know if you have received an offer would love to compare the process x

When did you apply? I still haven't received an offer for international relations. xD
Reply 77
Original post by isfaery
Applied for Arabic & Politics at SOAS on 21st Dec and got my acknowledgement email 23rd Dec I think. Haven't heard from them since but I'm not *too* worried as I got two offers from Leeds (I applied there twice). Only thing I'm slightly concerned about is SOAS prefers an a level language for Arabic & pol, and I don't even do a levels let alone a language. I do access to humanities and I can speak French after working in France last year. Oh well, very curious to see what SOAS respond but I'm not overly worried either way.

Just got an offer for 30 credits at distinction and 15 at merit (equivalent to AAB)!
Has anyone applied or received an offer for development studies?
Reply 79
Original post by yuki013
Name: Federica
Predicted grades: I graduated abroad a couple of years ago, oopsie (got 100/100)
Course: Japanese, English and Japanese
Why SOAS: multicultural diversity, library resources, modules structure, compulsory year abroad
Other:
I am waiting for my references to be submitted and then I will be able to finalize the application. If I do get in I hope I can start with Accelerated Japanese, have just taken JLPT N5 and hopefully results will be okay. Good luck everybody!

It's quite late but I just got a conditional offer for BA Japanese, exactly 2 weeks later! They require colour copies of my Diploma signed by a member of staff from my high school plus 6.5 IELTS score which I'll hopefully get tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending