The Student Room Group

Are these GCSEs good enough for Oxbridge?

How are these GCSEs?
8 - Maths
7 - English Language
5 - English Literature
B - Computer Science (teacher ****ed us over and 30% of GCSE was lost)
B - ICT
B - Biology (1 off A)
B - Chemistry (1 off A)
B - Physics
B - Drama (1 off A)
C - Food Technology
C - Religious Education
2 - PSHCE which is equivalent to a B
D - German ( was forced to do foundation exam, wasn't allowed to drop)
I know these grades aren't great but, hypothetically, if I get A*A*AB at A Level, do I have fair chance of getting into Oxbridge?
Also, to add to this, my school didn't give us any study leave, tricked us into choosing a language and forced us to do everything aside from 2 options (Drama and Computer Science).
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Timlin-Guy
How are these GCSEs?
8 - Maths
7 - English Language
5 - English Literature
B - ICT
B - Biology (1 off A)
B - Chemistry (1 off A)
B - Physics
B - Drama (1 off A)
C - Food Technology
C - Religious Education
I know these grades aren't great but, hypothetically, if I get A*A*AB at A Level, do I have fair chance of getting into Oxbridge?
Also, to add to this, my school didn't give us any study leave, tricked us into choosing a language and forced us to do everything aside from 2 options (Drama and Computer Science).

Not to make excuses or ask for sympathy and only to find out if this is a sufficient excuse to why my GCSEs aren't straight A*sbut during the exams:
I was being bullied from 70% of the people I thought were my friends, sometimes physically abusing me for the sole reason that they were bigger than me and could, for almost a year consistently making fun of my weight, my appearance and saying I could never get into college because I was a retard and other similar things.
My twin sister, who has had severe Bulimia for the past year and a half, was rushed to hospital and needed/ still needs lots of blood tests, ECG, daily pills, weekly therapy, family therapy because doctors believed she could have a heart attack at any moment. My mum would constantly attack her, fight with her because my sister didn't want to live with my mum, because she was eating all the food, because she 'was doing it for attention' and because 'she knew more than all the doctors, therapists, psychologists and all she needed to do was stop being so selfish'.
To add to this, my bipolar, narcissistic mum divorced my abusive stepfather (which was ****ing amazing) and met a nice guy (which is also good), but ex stepdad wanted full custody of my little sister (on the basis my mum was too unstable and mentally ill to look after her) and I was lead to believe I wouldn't ever see here again.
Even more, but not as serious, my step mum of 11 years and dad weren't getting along for about 4 months and my step mum was severely depressed, she had walked out saying she wanted a divorce and all this other stuff, as well as tried to make my twins bulimia all about her.
Consistent and daily arguments with my mum with her saying I caused her mental issues, that I'm manipulating, lying, rude, selfish, ignorant arrogant etc. and I'm what's causing my dads and step mums issues (which is far from the truth).

I'm not saying I have had the worst possible time ever, I know it could be worse and that it's not a complete excuse to my GCSE results, but it all got to its worst immediately from March/April and onwards, and it knocked me over without giving me any time to have a break to cope with it. I'm also not doing this to say look how bad everything is (and I can't stress that enough), I'm just wondering if all of this can be seen as sufficient reasoning to why I didn't get what most Oxbridge students get for GCSE results.

No.
How are these GCSEs?
8 - Maths
7 - English Language
5 - English Literature
B - ICT
B - Biology (1 off A)
B - Chemistry (1 off A)
B - Physics
B - Drama (1 off A)
C - Food Technology
C - Religious Education

Not to make excuses or ask for sympathy and only to find out if this is a sufficient excuse to why my GCSEs aren't straight A*sbut during the exams:
I was being bullied from 70% of the people I thought were my friends, sometimes physically abusing me for the sole reason that they were bigger than me and could, for almost a year consistently making fun of my weight, my appearance and saying I could never get into college because I was a retard and other similar things.
My twin sister, who has had severe Bulimia for the past year and a half, was rushed to hospital and needed/ still needs lots of blood tests, ECG, daily pills, weekly therapy, family therapy because doctors believed she could have a heart attack at any moment. My mum would constantly attack her, fight with her because my sister didn't want to live with my mum, because she was eating all the food, because she 'was doing it for attention' and because 'she knew more than all the doctors, therapists, psychologists and all she needed to do was stop being so selfish'.
To add to this, my bipolar, narcissistic mum divorced my abusive stepfather (which was ****ing amazing) and met a nice guy (which is also good), but ex stepdad wanted full custody of my little sister (on the basis my mum was too unstable and mentally ill to look after her) and I was lead to believe I wouldn't ever see here again.
Even more, but not as serious, my step mum of 11 years and dad weren't getting along for about 4 months and my step mum was severely depressed, she had walked out saying she wanted a divorce and all this other stuff, as well as tried to make my twins bulimia all about her.
Consistent and daily arguments with my mum with her saying I caused her mental issues, that I'm manipulating, lying, rude, selfish, ignorant arrogant etc. and I'm what's causing my dads and step mums issues (which is far from the truth).

I'm not saying I have had the worst possible time ever, I know it could be worse and that it's not a complete excuse to my GCSE results, but it all got to its worst immediately from March/April and onwards, and it knocked me over without giving me any time to have a break to cope with it. I'm also not doing this to say look how bad everything is (and I can't stress that enough), I'm just wondering if all of this can be seen as sufficient reasoning to why I didn't get what most Oxbridge students get for GCSE results.

Depends on the course you want to apply to, and which uni.

Oxford: Probably no.
Cambridge: Potentially, if the other aspects of your application are strong
How are these GCSEs?
8 - Maths
7 - English Language
5 - English Literature
B - ICT
B - Biology (1 off A)
B - Chemistry (1 off A)
B - Physics
B - Drama (1 off A)
C - Food Technology
C - Religious Education

Only an admissions tutor could be able to say for sure. You'd probably have to file for special circumstances.
Reply 4
1. This kind of information can be found on university websites etc.
2. You might want to mention these extenuating circumstances in your UCAS application.
3. Your GCSEs are WAY below average compared to the average oxbridge applicant.
4. You still do have a chance but you might want to Cambridge since they are less GCSE heavy.
5. What do you want to study? You haven't talked about what course you want to do and only mentioned you want to go to Oxbridge. Always choose your course over your university first because oxbridge courses aren't for everyone.
How are these GCSEs?
8 - Maths
7 - English Language
5 - English Literature
B - ICT
B - Biology (1 off A)
B - Chemistry (1 off A)
B - Physics
B - Drama (1 off A)
C - Food Technology
C - Religious Education

Potentially, provided you get the grades needed at A level. They apparently, although I’m no expert, do like to see an upward trajectory. However, in your case, I’d recommend applying to Cambridge not Oxford, as they put less weighting on GCSEs and allow you to fill in an extenuating circumstances form (ECF) meaning that you can draw particular attention to your ECs. However, you would need to achieve the grades of a typical offer or be willing to retake if they do consider your ECs to be of a significant impact.
Don’t take what I say as gospel though, as I am no admissions tutor. You’d be better off phoning the admissions departments for the Uni’s or for a specific college
(edited 6 years ago)
Honestly, no, you should aim for universities with lower entry requirements
Sorry I thought I said in the post, I'd like to apply for economics at Cambridge. I know the grades aren't good enough, but taking the circumstances into account, am I able to go if I get A*A*A*B, which is what I think I COULD get if I work hard enough, which I don't know if I will though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry I thought I said in the post, I'd like to apply for economics at Cambridge. I know the grades aren't good enough, but taking the circumstances into account, am I able to go.

if you get A*A*A or A*A*A* at A level, then you have a chance, but that may not be realistic:/ Maybe try emailing Cambridge?
Reply 9
Look on the bright side, you got better GCSEs than me
The college I'm going to now is amazing; I'm doing maths, further maths, economics and computer science. 97% of people who do maths and further maths at my college get A* in both maths and further maths, I think maths I can get the 2 A*s fairly easily (compared to the other two that is).
Original post by Realitycheck2
97% are smart/hard-working - you clearly are not.

Hey **** you, I'm not using my sister at all. I simply tried to explain the circumstances, as shockingly, these issues have an effect on you. If you'd have read my post fully, you'd see that I said I know things could be worse, that I've not had it the worst. The reason I posted this is because I have no clue how much that DID affect my grades or if I am smart enough for Oxbridge, and wanted to know if Oxbridge would see that as a sufficient reason.
I don't think I'm going to get A*A*A*B, that's the maximum I think I could get if I work hard enough. My college believed I was smart enough to get the maths grades, 3 of my maths teachers actually coming from Oxford. I don't know for sure at all, but I think if I'm going to get 2 A*s, Itll be in maths. Also, I got the same GCSEs as most people in my maths/further maths group, so that's why I think I'm able to get the A* in maths.
Hey **** you, I'm not using my sister at all. I simply tried to explain the circumstances, as shockingly, these issues have an effect on you. If you'd have read my post fully, you'd see that I said I know things could be worse, that I've not had it the worst. The reason I posted this is because I have no clue how much that DID affect my grades or if I am smart enough for Oxbridge, and wanted to know if Oxbridge would see that as a sufficient reason.
I don't think I'm going to get A*A*A*B, that's the maximum I think I could get if I work hard enough. My college believed I was smart enough to get the maths grades, 3 of my maths teachers actually coming from Oxford. I don't know for sure at all, but I think if I'm going to get 2 A*s, Itll be in maths. Also, I got the same GCSEs as most people in my maths/further maths group, so that's why I think I'm able to get the A* in maths.

I'm simply trying to give you a reality check, dumb ass. Even if you get A* in math/further math, your third/fourth A level is going to be a B or lower. Aim where you can realistically go because you're not Oxbridge material.

Try the other RG's, maybe mid-table. Don't get your hopes up and use BS reasons.
And it's funny to think you can get an A* in Further Math easily lol.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Yes! We don't have any GCSE requirements and are much more interested in your sixth form performance. Seeing a candidates go from no As at GCSE to predicted A*s at A level can be very encouraging.

From Peterhouse Cambridge on the Peterhouse and Christ’s ask the tutors forum:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
From Cambridge's perspective:

We don't have any GCSE requirements for Medicine* and we're much more interested in how you're doing at A level.

Yes! We don't have any GCSE requirements and are much more interested in your sixth form performance. Seeing a candidates go from no As at GCSE to predicted A*s at A level can be very encouraging.

Original post by Christ's Admissions
No, we're removing the GCSE requirement even in Medicine (and to be fair, all we asked for in the past was Maths plus Double Science or equivalent at GCSE - there were no expectations regarding number of A*s or anything like that).

There is a current thread regarding queries about admissions being answered by the Admissions Tutors for Christ's College (Cambridge) and Peterhouse here. Oxford tends to have more reliance on GCSEs due to interviewing fewer applicants. The ATs in this thread have discussed this and most other permutations of GCSE queries in the thread already, so you may find most of your queries already solved.

The higher GCSE profiles of students is not because it's a requirement, it's merely correlated with students doing well in A-level study, and many do well in their A-levels and beyond without necessarily having excelled at GCSE. A correlation does not imply a causal relationship.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm simply trying to give you a reality check, dumb ass. Even if you get A* in math/further math, your third/fourth A level is going to be a B or lower. Aim where you can realistically go because you're not Oxbridge material.

Try the other RG's, maybe mid-table. Don't get your hopes up and use BS reasons.
And it's funny to think you can get an A* in Further Math easily lol.

I don't think I am Oxbridge material, I was wondering what other people think. I was talking to some people (who literally got only A*) my Further Maths class and they were talking about Oxbridge and asked which one I was applying to, after explaining that I didn't think I was able to go, they ensisted if I worked hard enough, I could definitely go. That's the reason I started this post, not because I think I'm smart enough, but to see if I had a chance, like my incredibly smart peers said. WHICH I DOUBT. I just want to see what other people thought.
Calling me a dumb ass isn't ****ing helpful, and seeing how literally all of your posts are calling people dumb and stupid, it's pretty clear you're a troll. Why don't you find something better to do instead of insulting people.

And because I know if I don't say it, you'll think I'm an arrogant idiot who believes they can do anything they want. I'm not annoyed because you don't think I can go to Oxbridge, as someone else said they thought I couldn't get in to Oxbridge (which is fine), I'm annoyed because of how rude and insulting you are, you've not added to this post in any way other than say I'm lazy, not hard working and stupid. You don't even fcking know me, I might be stupid but I'm definitely not lazy.
Original post by beccabokka
From Peterhouse Cambridge on the Peterhouse and Christ’s ask the tutors forum:smile:

Thanks for this, I didn't know that there was an Oxbridge forum about that here, I don't use the student room
Thanks for this, I didn't know that there was an Oxbridge forum about that here, I don't use the student room

No worries! :smile:
I don't think I am Oxbridge material, I was wondering what other people think. I was talking to some people (who literally got only A*) my Further Maths class and they were talking about Oxbridge and asked which one I was applying to, after explaining that I didn't think I was able to go, they ensisted if I worked hard enough, I could definitely go. That's the reason I started this post, not because I think I'm smart enough, but to see if I had a chance, like my incredibly smart peers said. WHICH I DOUBT. I just want to see what other people thought.
Calling me a dumb ass isn't ****ing helpful, and seeing how literally all of your posts are calling people dumb and stupid, it's pretty clear you're a troll. Why don't you find something better to do instead of insulting people.

And because I know if I don't say it, you'll think I'm an arrogant idiot who believes they can do anything they want. I'm not annoyed because you don't think I can go to Oxbridge, as someone else said they thought I couldn't get in to Oxbridge (which is fine), I'm annoyed because of how rude and insulting you are, you've not added to this post in any way other than say I'm lazy, not hard working and stupid. You don't even fcking know me, I might be stupid but I'm definitely not lazy.

I've added more constructive comments than others on this thread.

I was given a duty to stop idiots from thinking they can get into a competitive uni/course. Sure, you can try but don't try too hard as it will make you upset, evidently.

Just spitting out straight facts.
I've added more constructive comments than others on this thread.

I was given a duty to stop idiots from thinking they can get into a competitive uni/course. Sure, you can try but don't try too hard as it will make you upset, evidently.

Just spitting out straight facts.

Um, no you haven't...
Someone said if I get A*A*A*B I could get in, but it'd be very unlikely and I should apply to other, lower universities.
Two people linked me to Cambridge posts
A few people said my grades are way below average for Oxbridge.

You've ONLY called me an idiot and that I can only hope for very low universities. I don't think I can go to many if any of the top universities, but I'm definitely better than low-tier universities. The fact you think being condescending and rude towards those you think you're smarter than is a bit hypocritical; you have to be delusional if you think it's your 'duty' to tell people they're dumb.
You've not said a single fact.
I might be dumb for oxbridge (which I believe I probably am), but my grades are better than average nation-wide, so calling me an idiot is just simply not true. You calling me lazy and not hard working - you don't even know me.

Quick Reply

Latest