The Student Room Group

can i get into medicine?

I joined school late in november and studied for my gcses in 8 months. Ended up with
Maths: A
RE: A
Single science: B
additional science: B
english language: B
MFL: B
english litrature: C

My UKCAT result wasn't great at all
VR: 470
DM: 580
QR: 670
AR: 640
SJ: band 3
AVERAGE: 590

my predicted A level results are AAA in chemistry, biology and maths but they could be A*AA.
Do i still have any chance at getting into medicine? thank u in advance

Scroll to see replies

Yes, if you apply strategically.
Original post by Realitycheck2
No, you're stupid - give up.

username checks out
Original post by ArcaneMists
username checks out

Just doing my job.
I second this
Original post by Divergent4
Yes, if you apply strategically.

so like can i get into ukcat unis like st georges medicine or kings clg extended medicine course or should i not even try there?
I am doing my BMAT in november :smile:. say if i did good in it would UCL and imperial consider me or say no by looking at my weak GCSEs.
Also i think cambrige and oxford are impossible for me to get in with my grades?:frown:
thank you :smile:
Can we keep things constructive and friendly please.
Original post by spicychilli30
I joined school late in november and studied for my gcses in 8 months. Ended up with

my predicted A level results are AAA in chemistry, biology and maths but they could be A*AA.

In all honesty with that combination of GCSEs and UKCAT you're going to struggle. Unless they take extenuating circumstances in to account, your GCSEs are not good enough to compensate for a weak UKCAT. I don't know enough about the BMAT schools to know how much of a chance you'll stand there.

I don't usually recommend applying to more than 2 BMAT schools but in your case it might be worth looking at them more. I don't think you will stand a good shot at any of the UKCAT ones this year.

So I would hunker down and really work on prepping for BMAT and keep your fingers crossed. If that doesn't go to plan, I would not get disheartened on focus on smashing your a-levels before taking a gap year and reapplying.
Original post by ForestCat
In all honesty with that combination of GCSEs and UKCAT you're going to struggle. Unless they take extenuating circumstances in to account, your GCSEs are not good enough to compensate for a weak UKCAT. I don't know enough about the BMAT schools to know how much of a chance you'll stand there.

I don't usually recommend applying to more than 2 BMAT schools but in your case it might be worth looking at them more. I don't think you will stand a good shot at any of the UKCAT ones this year.

So I would hunker down and really work on prepping for BMAT and keep your fingers crossed. If that doesn't go to plan, I would not get disheartened on focus on smashing your a-levels before taking a gap year and reapplying.

thank u soo much for ur advice ill keep this in mind when i apply.
wow. is he that desperate
yes im just going to ignore him. And thank you i'll definitely consider these unis. Good luck on ur BMAT :smile:
I did the 2014 section 2 questions few weeks ago and they didnt seem too bad. I feel as though ill do better in the BMAT then what i did in the UKCAT (although i know people say the BMAT is harder). Im just going to try my best and make sure my personal statement is captivating. :excited:
oh my bad lol i'll check it out.
Original post by spicychilli30

This is a useful website that will tell you most of what you need to know. http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/writing-personal-statement/

Remember you can always retake your UKCAT test the next academic cycle.
If your set on medicine then go for it.
My GCSE's were relatively good and my UKAT score just above average but my personal statement wasn't great so I had to strategically apply to unis which weighted placements to my strengths.
I got 2 interview offers - got a conditional place and then messed up my A-levels and didn't get the grades:colondollar:.
Like those above said - try BMAT and definitely look into extenuating circumstances (i'm not sure but look into the 6-year med courses they may apply to you).

Always have a plan b though. I'm doing biomed and hoping to apply as a graduate or you could take a gap year (but you have to really make the most of it).

If you really want to study medicine at uni you will (it will just be a matter of when:wink:) .
Original post by oversizedcarrot
This is a useful website that will tell you most of what you need to know. http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/writing-personal-statement/

Remember you can always retake your UKCAT test the next academic cycle.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by panickypolite
If your set on medicine then go for it.
My GCSE's were relatively good and my UKAT score just above average but my personal statement wasn't great so I had to strategically apply to unis which weighted placements to my strengths.
I got 2 interview offers - got a conditional place and then messed up my A-levels and didn't get the grades:colondollar:.
Like those above said - try BMAT and definitely look into extenuating circumstances (i'm not sure but look into the 6-year med courses they may apply to you).

Always have a plan b though. I'm doing biomed and hoping to apply as a graduate or you could take a gap year (but you have to really make the most of it).

If you really want to study medicine at uni you will (it will just be a matter of when:wink:) .

I am probaby going to have to take a gap year or do biomed first if i flop my BMAT. I looked into the kings extended medical degree but im not eligible for it :frown: . But im definately not going to give up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending