Difference between Qualitative and Quantative test?

Watch this thread
username3525694
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can someone give me a very simple definition between the two and if possible a small example .

PS- what’s semi quantative ??
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Quantitative is a test you take physical numerical measurements in. For example, a titration experiment would measure how many ml of an acid/base were added to neutralise the opposite chemical.

Qualitative tests involve making observations you can quantify. For example, if you are testing for starch with the starch iodide test, you can get either a positive or negative result-either purple staining or otherwise.

Semi-quantitative tests are usually qualitative tests, where a range of possible observations are possible-and whichever one you see gives you clues about a possible quantity. The best Biology example is the Benedict's test for sugars. Its a blue solution, which turns anything from Green, Yellow, Orange of Red depending on how much sugar there is. These are all rainbow colours-the closer to red it is, the more sugar there is in there. Its not a physical quantity most people would bother measuring (you could with a colorimeter) but gives you a good hint usually.

(I say usually because in that instance, different sugars also reduce to different extents, and hence unless the sample is made up of a specific sugar you know, its difficult to compare samples or accurately quantify)
username3525694
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
Quantitative is a test you take physical numerical measurements in. For example, a titration experiment would measure how many ml of an acid/base were added to neutralise the opposite chemical.

Qualitative tests involve making observations you can quantify. For example, if you are testing for starch with the starch iodide test, you can get either a positive or negative result-either purple staining or otherwise.

Semi-quantitative tests are usually qualitative tests, where a range of possible observations are possible-and whichever one you see gives you clues about a possible quantity. The best Biology example is the Benedict's test for sugars. Its a blue solution, which turns anything from Green, Yellow, Orange of Red depending on how much sugar there is. These are all rainbow colours-the closer to red it is, the more sugar there is in there. Its not a physical quantity most people would bother measuring (you could with a colorimeter) but gives you a good hint usually.

(I say usually because in that instance, different sugars also reduce to different extents, and hence unless the sample is made up of a specific sugar you know, its difficult to compare samples or accurately quantify)

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aspiring•MEDIC)
Can someone give me a very simple definition between the two and if possible a small example .

PS- what’s semi quantative ??
I haven't come across semi-quantitative tests, but I can help you with the others.

Quantitative tests are about a quantity. If it's a number, it's quantitative. An example would be measuring your height.

Qualiative tests are about something you can't put a number on, such as an observation, colour or opinion. For example, your eye colour would be qualiative (unless you're nerdy enough to try to measure the wavelengths of light that it absorbs and reflects).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (9)
52.94%
The paper was reasonable (7)
41.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (0)
0%
It was TERRIBLE (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads