The Student Room Group

Failing A-Level History?

I get consistent D's in practice exams. In my mock, I got a U. I just don't know how to do it? To me, it's impossible. I also do biology which is a very factual subject, yet where I've been getting A's in Bio, I'm the worst in History in what seems like the entire year.

I do edexcel btw. It's horrific, I don't know how you can remember everything. Structure isn't a problem, but learning the info is. You legitamitely have to learn what seems like the entire 3cm thick text book, page by page, sentence by sentence. Even when I'm writing my essays, what I learnt from the textbook isn't enough to answer the question and I have to find info online. So how the hell is that supposed to work during the exam?
Have you asked for feedback from your teacher for practice questions?

Normally, what you have been taught should be enough to be able to answer the questions, but what sets you apart is the writing style and how you interpret the information.

You shouldn't have to learn the textbook word for word, but making a bullet point list of key facts and points is a good idea. You could also create essay plans for possible essay topics, ask your teacher to look over practice essays and look at past papers to help.

Quick Reply

Latest