TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can someone give me some points for the economic, social and environmental impacts of e-tailing please. AS Geography Edexcel.
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
Amefish
Reality Check
CoffeeAndPolitics
Lemur14
Rexar

tagging moderators for help.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheAlchemistress)
Amefish
Reality Check
CoffeeAndPolitics
Lemur14
Rexar

tagging moderators for help.
Given I gave up Geography in year 8 and don't even know what e-tailing is I'm not much help!
Amefish look A level Geography iirc so I'm sure she'll help when she gets back online if she knows the answer
Or maybe Leviathan1741 might know? (I know your area is geology, but I really don't have a clue what this is, and I'm guessing there's some overlap with Geography somewhere)
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Given I gave up Geography in year 8 and don't even know what e-tailing is I'm not much help!
Amefish look A level Geography iirc so I'm sure she'll help when she gets back online if she knows the answer
Or maybe Leviathan1741 might know? (I know your area is geology, but I really don't have a clue what this is, and I'm guessing there's some overlap with Geography somewhere)
I admit that I had to look up what e-tailing meant (online retailing!), as I'd never heard of it either

I covered some of the advantages and disadvantages of internet retail in my ICT A Level, however I don't know how relevant they would be to geography unfortunately
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can someone give me some points for the economic, social and environmental impacts of e-tailing please. AS Geography Edexcel.
Sorry I’m a Historian so I don’t know what that is. :/
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Economic: increased sales if a business has a physical store and an estore (bigger pool of potential buyers); less jobs on high-streets as businesses move their stores online; more jobs in the postal/import/export sector

Social: more products are more widely accessible; you don't have to leave the house to get products, so people may lack a social connection when shopping; people in rural areas with no shops around can access mainstream and niche goods

Environmental: more products sent via the mail, this could mean increased pollution from planes, ships (if international), and also means more packaging. There was an issue with Amazon's packaging service (using too much), you might be able to look at it as a case example?

I'm a bit rusty on this topic, haven't really covered it in great detail for a while. Hope this helps, though you should be able to expand more given the simple pointers I've mentioned!
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
I admit that I had to look up what e-tailing meant (online retailing!), as I'd never heard of it either

I covered some of the advantages and disadvantages of internet retail in my ICT A Level, however I don't know how relevant they would be to geography unfortunately
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Sorry I’m a Historian so I don’t know what that is. :/
(Original post by Amefish)
Economic: increased sales if a business has a physical store and an estore (bigger pool of potential buyers); less jobs on high-streets as businesses move their stores online; more jobs in the postal/import/export sector

Social: more products are more widely accessible; you don't have to leave the house to get products, so people may lack a social connection when shopping; people in rural areas with no shops around can access mainstream and niche goods

Environmental: more products sent via the mail, this could mean increased pollution from planes, ships (if international), and also means more packaging. There was an issue with Amazon's packaging service (using too much), you might be able to look at it as a case example?

I'm a bit rusty on this topic, haven't really covered it in great detail for a while. Hope this helps, though you should be able to expand more given the simple pointers I've mentioned!

Thank you Moderators :-) I appreicate it.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

ah well, it was worth a try!
My first thought was maybe something linked to less pollution because there were less people driving to the shops but then I remembered that the stuff that was ordered would be driven to your house anyway :lol:
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My first thought was maybe something linked to less pollution because there were less people driving to the shops but then I remembered that the stuff that was ordered would be driven to your house anyway :lol:
I'm happy you remembered me :hugs:

That was my first thought as well :lol:
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
it would still cause pollution either way.
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?

Thanks for the help though.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you Moderators :-) I appreicate it.
No problem I'm always happy to be tagged in stuff (although if it's Geography I probably won't know :lol:)

:hugs: It was a case of we must have more than 1 ST who knows about Geography, who might know :lol: Then I remembered you made the Geography FAQ
I'm glad it's not just me!
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it would still cause pollution either way.
Thanks for the help though.
Yeah I realised that...just took me a little while!
No problem
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
No problem I'm always happy to be tagged in stuff (although if it's Geography I probably won't know :lol:)

:hugs: It was a case of we must have more than 1 ST who knows about Geography, who might know :lol: Then I remembered you made the Geography FAQ
I'm glad it's not just me!
I guess we need more chatrooms to do with these things with members.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess we need more chatrooms to do with these things with members.
There's a A level Geography Community here if you want to join
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
Thank you.
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
Is there one for Edexcel English Literature?
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you.
Is there one for Edexcel English Literature?
No problem
There's a general English study group here, for both english lit and language
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
?
No problem
There's a general English study group here, for both english lit and language
Thanks again.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks again.
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (616)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (768)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.81%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads