The Student Room Group

drama school

how good do you have to be to get in?
Original post by RainbowDude

Good enough to get through multiple rounds of auditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it honestly depends on where you apply to.

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum though so that you'll get the replies you're after.:smile:
Reply 3
Okay, if it depends on where I apply to - which ones are the "easier" ones to get into?

I am thinking of applying to Lamda, RCS, RWCMD, Bristol old Vic, LIR, maybe GSA, maybe RADA. But then I am wondering if these are all too good and I might end up with nothing...

I have done a lot of theatre and to be fair, for a couple of my lead roles, people really did keep raving about me. I have "something" to bring. Still though, I am realistic.

Should I spread myself with backups... where is easier? Birmingham, ManMet?
Reply 4
Does anyone know any youtube posts with audition monologues for people who actually got into drama school??? That way maybe I can compare myself and then target myself. I just don't know what I am up against...
If you want to be a performer - go to Drama School. This will give you a practical training in theatre as a vocational career. And agents and directors will come to your final year shows.

A degree in 'Drama' or even 'Acting' that is University based is NOT the same. It is an academic training in drama and/or acting as an academic subject not a vocational training course. And this is why agents and theatre directors dont go anywhere near the final year shows.
Reply 6
Does anyone know any youtube posts with audition monologues for people who actually got into drama school??? That way maybe I can compare myself and then target myself. I just don't know what I am up against...

Did you have a look?

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctgS0FIf6k
The process of applying for a drama school can be rather stressful.
Okay, if it depends on where I apply to - which ones are the "easier" ones to get into?

I am thinking of applying to Lamda, RCS, RWCMD, Bristol old Vic, LIR, maybe GSA, maybe RADA. But then I am wondering if these are all too good and I might end up with nothing...

I have done a lot of theatre and to be fair, for a couple of my lead roles, people really did keep raving about me. I have "something" to bring. Still though, I am realistic.

Should I spread myself with backups... where is easier? Birmingham, ManMet?

The ones you've mentioned are all extremely difficult to get into but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.. After all, someone has to take up a place or there wouldn't be any students. Definitely have back-ups, have you thought about ALRA?
Original post by alexabrown002
The process of applying for a drama school can be rather stressful.

So is working in the theatre. So maybe you might need to rethink your career choice.
They look for potential, not a polished performer.
There are a handful of university acting degrees that are focused on practical training. Look at unistats to see where a high proportion of graduates go on to acting careers (anything around half of grads in artistic careers is a good guide).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending