This discussion is closed.
OverMyDeadBody
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys! I thought it would be nice to start a thread for this year applications for AFP where we can talk about our choices and ask questions and share experiences. I have been looking at the previous application years threads and this worked very well
doctork2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi everyone! Good to see someone has started a thread already. It's nice to be back on TSR after such a long time.
OverMyDeadBody
Rep:
?
Yep, I think the last time I was on TSR was before starting med school. Hopefully, it won't be like UCAS all over again!
funnyfern
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hi all, where do we find info about which foundation schools need cvs?
pizzalust
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey everyone! Haven't been on TSR since UCAS myself!
I am extremely interested in working in Y&H, preferably with an AFP. Since I dont have any particular burning desires for second AUoA, thought I can afford to apply for an ambitious AUoA in case miracle do happen.

So without any additional degrees but a publication and some international & national presentations, I am thinking about applying to Oxford for an AFP - am I completely crazy? Does anyone without any additional degrees at all have even a 1% chance?? I do think I am enthusiastic about academic medicine and did not intercalate purely due to financial reasons.
littlesparrow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! also haven't been on TSR since applying for med school! Seriously finding it hard to rank places since I havent been to half of them haha
OverMyDeadBody
Rep:
?
(Original post by atomos)
Hello, also applying this year (to Scotland) for AFP. Questions are a bit trickier than I'd hoped!
Yes! Especially that questions 1 and 4 look fairly similar
OverMyDeadBody
Rep:
?
nt,
(Original post by pizzalust)
Hey everyone! Haven't been on TSR since UCAS myself!
I am extremely interested in working in Y&H, preferably with an AFP. Since I dont have any particular burning desires for second AUoA, thought I can afford to apply for an ambitious AUoA in case miracle do happen.

So without any additional degrees but a publication and some international & national presentations, I am thinking about applying to Oxford for an AFP - am I completely crazy? Does anyone without any additional degrees at all have even a 1% chance?? I do think I am enthusiastic about academic medicine and did not intercalate purely due to financial reasons.
I guess it depends on how Oxford allocates the marks. Each unit is different, I heard some places don't take into account EPM scores and some use them as a cut-off. I know people who got into AFP without intercalating due to financial reasons but had a good CV to back up their interest in research
miacena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello everyone I am an IMG from Portugal also applying for the Foundation Programme in the UK this year. I have been doing research and teaching back home during medical school and would like to continue doing so during the FP, that's why I am applying for AFP. Does anyone have any feedback regarding AFP programmes in Scotland and Northern? Are they very hard to get into, especially for foreigners? Thanks a lot!!
pizzalust
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by OverMyDeadBody)
nt,

I guess it depends on how Oxford allocates the marks. Each unit is different, I heard some places don't take into account EPM scores and some use them as a cut-off. I know people who got into AFP without intercalating due to financial reasons but had a good CV to back up their interest in research
I'm just gonna give it a shot and see what happens
Someone123123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There doesn't seem to be anywhere on Oriel to attach evidence of presentations/degrees etc for AFP, whereas there was for normal FP. Am I missing something?
OverMyDeadBody
Rep:
?
(Original post by Someone123123)
There doesn't seem to be anywhere on Oriel to attach evidence of presentations/degrees etc for AFP, whereas there was for normal FP. Am I missing something?
you can upload through dashboard but I cannot see the option of attaching the documents to the application (like in FP application). I presume if it is not attached to the application it will not be sent? Unless they check all evidence at the interview stage?
Someone123123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by OverMyDeadBody)
you can upload through dashboard but I cannot see the option of attaching the documents to the application (like in FP application). I presume if it is not attached to the application it will not be sent? Unless they check all evidence at the interview stage?
Yeah that's what I meant, unless they have access to our dashboard to manually check the evidence? I suppose I'll upload it there anyway just in case
Stuffme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's some scientific research I presented at Kings College London back in 2010 when I was in 6th form, and won 1st prize for this.

All I have is a Certificate of Achievement for completing the investigation..

Is it pointless putting this in? I have no idea how to obtain evidence for winning the prize if asked since I left 6th form years ago :/
Stuffme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I started 2 academic application but want to cancel one. Does this mean I have to withdraw?
viki.B
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Heather. I've also been listed at longlisted for Scotland AFP. Reading threads from previous years, I think it might mean that you have met their basic requirements (made the first cut) and being considered for short-listing... At least I think that's what I'd like to believe
viki.B
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So, some deaneries specify a period of time as Shortlisting. For example 17/10-26/10 Shortlisting. Does this mean that people will be notified on a daily basis if they have been shortlisted? Or does it mean that all people will be notified at the same time once the period of shortlisting is over? Thanks
RugbyMan7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Another Scotland longlist.
Unsure about interviews- last year they seem to come out on 27/10; so I'm assuming we'll start hearing from the later half of next week?
Trying to stop myself from treating this like ucas all over again and logging in every few hours lol.
viki.B
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Heather.Scottish)
I'm kind of thinking the same thing - each AUoA has its own little timeline, Scotlands is here if that helps-

http://www.scotmt.scot.nhs.uk/founda...oundation.aspx
That's great! Thank you!
Yorkshire and Humber AFP emailed today - I've got an interview!
Hopefully will hear from Scotland too.
Good luck to everyone.
RugbyMan7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by viki.B)
That's great! Thank you!
Yorkshire and Humber AFP emailed today - I've got an interview!
Hopefully will hear from Scotland too.
Good luck to everyone.
That's great news! Is it soon?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (153)
60.47%
I don't have everything I need (100)
39.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise