The Student Room Group

Is paying her £50 a week reasonable?

So I've been paying my mum £50 a week for years now (i live with my parents), and I understood it as my contribution for staying there because she did say it was 'for my keep' - which is reasonable.

However, circumstances have changed to the point where i'll be paying full rent to the council now - yet my mum still expects the £50 a week on top. Is this reasonable though seeing as I'm actually going to be paying the full rent to the council now?

I did talk to my parents about it and they said the £50 a week is for food for the household - but I've always bought my own food and I eat out sometimes.

I don't want to push it any further with them as they'll just see it as me being tight. soo... am i?
Original post by SnapesOnAPlane
So I've been paying my mum £50 a week for years now (i live with my parents), and I understood it as my contribution for staying there because she did say it was 'for my keep' - which is reasonable.

However, circumstances have changed to the point where i'll be paying full rent to the council now - yet my mum still expects the £50 a week on top. Is this reasonable though seeing as I'm actually going to be paying the full rent to the council now?

I did talk to my parents about it and they said the £50 a week is for food for the household - but I've always bought my own food and I eat out sometimes.

I don't want to push it any further with them as they'll just see it as me being tight. soo... am i?

Do you know what the total household income and outgoings are? No way of knowing if it's reasonable in comparison without knowing that, £200 a month is certainly less than if you had your own place.
Reply 2

I don't understand

why are you paying both rent to the council and rent to your mother?

are you renting two rooms or something?
id say it's pretty reasonable, she still has to pay all the other bills and for food no? I highly doubt the only bill that needs paying is the rent! there's water.. electricity.. The tv and whatever other luxuries you use. It's much cheaper than the real world that's for sure!

It’s impossible to tell if you are paying too much you haven’t given enough information.

It’s waaaaaay cheaper than if you didn’t live with them though.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It won't be cheaper to move out.

That’s what I said
Are you still living there? That's unreasonable if you're not costing them anything to live there, eg you pay for your own food and rent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Are you still living there? That's unreasonable if you're not costing them anything to live there, eg you pay for your own food and rent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gas, electricity and water?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Gas, electricity and water?

Doesn't come to £50 a week for an individual, and if they are paying for everyone's rent not just his own

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Doesn't come to £50 a week for an individual, and if they are paying for everyone's rent not just his own

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why doesn’t he move out then if it’s so much cheaper...... because it’s not
Original post by paul514
Why doesn’t he move out then if it’s so much cheaper...... because it’s not

Didn't say it was? I'm saying if OP is paying all the rent (which is what it sounds like by him paying the council rent) and purchasing own food, then his parents aren't paying rent therefore saving money. £50 a week on top covers a lot more than just gas electricity and water, seems high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
really depends on what yo both earn and what the costs they're using it for are
It's a surge charge for giving birth to you bro, only way to avoid paying is by climbing back up in there.
(edited 6 years ago)
I know this is wildly off topic from what I posted, I just wonder why everyone assumes I'm a guy :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending