SatNav98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Might be worth knowing I do English language and literature - edexcel is my exam board)

I do Othello and Great Gatsby, and for A level I'm having to compare the two. The comparisons seem easy enough when you get down to it e.g. othello = outsider due to his skin colour, Gatsby = outsider because he's new money but daisy is new money etc. But I have no idea where to start revising. English language is easy enough, just go over the anthology, but what could I do for lit?

any help?

EDIT: I also always hear people say it's good to provide alternative viewpoints in your paragraph when picking apart a quote? Is this a valid point people have or is it just bull?
BionicPinkyBear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SatNav98)
(Might be worth knowing I do English language and literature - edexcel is my exam board)

I do Othello and Great Gatsby, and for A level I'm having to compare the two. The comparisons seem easy enough when you get down to it e.g. othello = outsider due to his skin colour, Gatsby = outsider because he's new money but daisy is new money etc. But I have no idea where to start revising. English language is easy enough, just go over the anthology, but what could I do for lit?

any help?

EDIT: I also always hear people say it's good to provide alternative viewpoints in your paragraph when picking apart a quote? Is this a valid point people have or is it just bull?
Alternative viewpoints are good and well essential here at uni so its good to quote critics if you can and agree/disagree with it. Revision i guess would be good to make points on similarities and differences, make note of any themes and symbolism basically as if your planning an essay just compare as much as you can. I dont know if its different for a level but in my first year @ uni we have to analyse a specific moment as a representation of the novels rather than the whole novels but this is something you should ask your teacher about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise