The Student Room Group

IB math level choice

I want to study medicine in cambridge or oxford. I know it is considered an "unrealistic" dream but I am quite an ambitious person. I am planning on taking chemistry HL biology HL and english B HL. I am not sure whether I should take Math HL as well. My reason for considering it is because on the websites of these universities it says that it is recommended to take 3 HL mathematical/scientific subjects. But because I already have 3 HL subjects, math would be my 4 HL and I dont know if it would be too much work. I am quite good at maths and I've always been one of the best ones in class. Also I am curious if it is more beneficial to get a 7 in math SL or a 5/6 in math HL. My third question is that if I have 4 HL subjects, grades of which 3 subjects out of these will the university take under consideration? I am curious because grades 7 7 6 are required from the HL subjects. PLEASE AND THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO IS ABLE TO HELP ME " <3
Original post by Dalia.K
I want to study medicine in cambridge or oxford. I know it is considered an "unrealistic" dream but I am quite an ambitious person. I am planning on taking chemistry HL biology HL and english B HL. I am not sure whether I should take Math HL as well. My reason for considering it is because on the websites of these universities it says that it is recommended to take 3 HL mathematical/scientific subjects. But because I already have 3 HL subjects, math would be my 4 HL and I dont know if it would be too much work. I am quite good at maths and I've always been one of the best ones in class. Also I am curious if it is more beneficial to get a 7 in math SL or a 5/6 in math HL. My third question is that if I have 4 HL subjects, grades of which 3 subjects out of these will the university take under consideration? I am curious because grades 7 7 6 are required from the HL subjects. PLEASE AND THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO IS ABLE TO HELP ME " <3

Hey Dalia,

People tend not to take Math HL (or Further math A levels) because the average score is a 3 for IB and (D/E) for A levels. Unless you got a perfect 7/7 in your MYP I recommend to not do HL Math. Unis do not look at higher level math. In fact Oxford does not need it for most of its courses.

Hope that helps!

Love
Amanda Stan
Reply 2
Original post by AmandaStan
Hey Dalia,

People tend not to take Math HL (or Further math A levels) because the average score is a 3 for IB and (D/E) for A levels. Unless you got a perfect 7/7 in your MYP I recommend to not do HL Math. Unis do not look at higher level math. In fact Oxford does not need it for most of its courses.

Hope that helps!

Love
Amanda Stan

thanks a lot for the help. I wanted to take math Hl to have a better chance at being accepted but if unis dont look at higher level math then I dont think its worth it. thanks again <3

Quick Reply

Latest