The Student Room Group

Car failed MOT. I would appreciate any help on what they mean

I have a 57 Plate Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI.

It failed the MOT this Thursday

Nearside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)

Offside Headlamp aim too high (1.8)

Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Central Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)

I do not understand the first one, I put a new parking light bulb in before the MOT as the bulb light was on dashboard, putting in new bulb turned off the dash light. Why has he said headlamp not working on dipped beam ?

2. I'll get that looked at

3. I've replaced the drop links myself, Done them easily on previous car but much harder on this one as the bolts were just turning so had ot cut it off, with a hacksaw.

4. what does that mean, I guess it needs a clamp but where about should it go ? I'll do the clamp myself. thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cleverboy1991

I do not understand the first one, I put a new parking light bulb in before the MOT as the bulb light was on dashboard, putting in new bulb turned off the dash light. Why has he said headlamp not working on dipped beam ?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the dipped beam isn't working on the nearside??? Not sure how much clearer this could be?

4. what does that mean, I guess it needs a clamp but where about should it go ? I'll do the clamp myself. thanks

Again, a wild stab in the dark here, but is it by any chance near the central exhaust system???

These MOT failures are pretty easy to understand - I don't see your confusion?
Original post by IWMTom
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the dipped beam isn't working on the nearside??? Not sure how much clearer this could be?

Again, a wild stab in the dark here, but is it by any chance near the central exhaust system???

These MOT failures are pretty easy to understand - I don't see your confusion?

But both parking lights are working, the ones where you turn the headlights down to the dimmer lights
Reply 3
But both parking lights are working, the ones where you turn the headlights down to the dimmer lights

So why didn't you demonstrate this at the time? It's unlikely for a tester to fail you on a bulb that works.
Original post by IWMTom
So why didn't you demonstrate this at the time? It's unlikely for a tester to fail you on a bulb that works.

Sorry, what does that mean ? Demonstrate at the time ?
Reply 5
Sorry, what does that mean ? Demonstrate at the time ?

When you were told you had a bulb out, why didn't you go and see? If you knew it wasn't broken, why didn't you prove it to them there and then?
Original post by IWMTom
When you were told you had a bulb out, why didn't you go and see? If you knew it wasn't broken, why didn't you prove it to them there and then?

Annoying thing is the morning on the day of MOT it took me ages to change the parking light bulb on driver's side. Then he fails MOT on saying parking light bulb on opposite side is out, when it appears fine
Reply 7
Annoying thing is the morning on the day of MOT it took me ages to change the parking light bulb on driver's side. Then he fails MOT on saying parking light bulb on opposite side is out, when it appears fine

Are you sure you're looking at the right bulb? The parking lights on my car are actually the fog lights, the dipped beam is something different - granted, some cars utilise the dipped beam for parking lights.
You should've asked the mechanic when he gave you the MOT record. They can get you booked in to have it all fixed to MOT standards. It looks like one of your head light bulbs has gone, another is not correctly placed. Your exhaust is not held securely in place and I believe excessive play in the anti roll bar is not safe. If you do not understand your MOT, then I would recommend you don't do it yourself as you may not fix something to MOT standard or you may 'fix' entirely the wrong thing.

I had a car fail MOT and it's best to just give the car to them to fix and they can do it pretty quickly and easily. I would rather a mechanic do it to the right standards so the car is legal and safe! If you don't trust their ability, then go somewhere else to have it looked at.

I have a 57 Plate Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI.

It failed the MOT this Thursday

Nearside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)

Offside Headlamp aim too high (1.8)

Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Central Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)

2. I'll get that looked at

3. I've replaced the drop links myself, Done them easily on previous car but much harder on this one as the bolts were just turning so had ot cut it off, with a hacksaw.

Original post by hannxm
You should've asked the mechanic when he gave you the MOT record. They can get you booked in to have it all fixed to MOT standards. It looks like one of your head light bulbs has gone, another is not correctly placed. Your exhaust is not held securely in place and I believe excessive play in the anti roll bar is not safe. If you do not understand your MOT, then I would recommend you don't do it yourself as you may not fix something to MOT standard or you may 'fix' entirely the wrong thing.

I had a car fail MOT and it's best to just give the car to them to fix and they can do it pretty quickly and easily. I would rather a mechanic do it to the right standards so the car is legal and safe! If you don't trust their ability, then go somewhere else to have it looked at.

Headlights both seem fine, and when I turn switch down both parking lights work.

I've already replaced the drop links myself.

I am just wondering where about on the exhaust I should put the new clamp, or does he mean it already has a clamp that has deteriorated and needs replacing, therefore just put it where I take that one off ?
Original post by IWMTom
Are you sure you're looking at the right bulb? The parking lights on my car are actually the fog lights, the dipped beam is something different - granted, some cars utilise the dipped beam for parking lights.

Yes, it only has 2 parking light bulbs and both are working, my car does not have fog lights at the front

Headlights both seem fine, and when I turn switch down both parking lights work.
Reply 11
Yes, it only has 2 parking light bulbs and both are working, my car does not have fog lights at the front

Why are you referring to them as parking lights, just out of curiosity?
Original post by IWMTom

Well he says headlamp not working on dipped beam. I am referring to the lights when you turn them on and they are quite dull/dim, then you turn the switch again and you have the headlights. the dull lights both work as do the 2 headlights
Yes, they may "seem" fine, but everything has to be within a scale. They must test the brightness; too bright or too dim are not safe to drive with.

It could very well be the latter, but you will never know unless you ring the guy yourself and ask what the actual issues are or better yet, book for them to fix the issues.

I've already replaced the drop links myself.

I am just wondering where about on the exhaust I should put the new clamp, or does he mean it already has a clamp that has deteriorated and needs replacing, therefore just put it where I take that one off ?
Reply 14
Well he says headlamp not working on dipped beam. I am referring to the lights when you turn them on and they are quite dull/dim, then you turn the switch again and you have the headlights. the dull lights both work as do the 2 headlights

Yes, they are the dipped beams - I'm just curious as to why you refer to them as parking lights.

Regardless, if you knew the bulbs were working, why didn't you mention it to the tester? If what you're saying is correct, then they've fraudulently failed you on something they shouldn't have.
I bet he has replaced the brake lights. :lol: This is why I'm trying to convince them to go to the garage and ask and better yet, have the mechanic fix the issues!

Original post by IWMTom
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, they are the dipped beams - I'm just curious as to why you refer to them as parking lights.

Regardless, if you knew the bulbs were working, why didn't you mention it to the tester? If what you're saying is correct, then they've fraudulently failed you on something they shouldn't have.

I'm worked up now, so I spent ages changing one dipped light and he failed it on the other dipped light saying it was not working, when it was !

I've checked several times but I don't get what he is on about. also how do I fix headlight aim too high ?
Original post by hannxm
I bet he has replaced the brake lights. :lol: This is why I'm trying to convince them to go to the garage and ask and better yet, have the mechanic fix the issues!

seriously, what a stupid thing to say !

do you realise that only the rear of the car has brake lights, not the front ?!!!!!
Reply 17
seriously, what a stupid thing to say !

do you realise that only the rear of the car has brake lights, not the front ?!!!!!

Are you sure the dipped beam is working on the near side? You may be seeing the side lights and thinking it's working.

If you need to ask how to change the aim, you shouldn't be fixing the aim. Get the garage to sort it.
Original post by IWMTom
Are you sure the dipped beam is working on the near side? You may be seeing the side lights and thinking it's working.

If you need to ask how to change the aim, you shouldn't be fixing the aim. Get the garage to sort it.

the side lights are the dipped beams, aren't they ?
Reply 19
the side lights are the dipped beams, aren't they ?

No. The dipped beam is the headlights you'll use whenever it's dark.

The headlight switch will go off, side lights, dipped beam - the main beam only shines when you pull the stalk.

Quick Reply

Latest