The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Lectures and making notes help

Hey I have been looking at the lectures early for my modules in Semester 1 and it seems very overwhelming and scary. I'm quite unsure of how I'm going to be able to make notes in the lectures, and make sure I have written down everything needed for each module despite revisiting them after the lectures and using the aid of a textbook.

So a few questions:
Are the lecture slides enough to cover for the notes of each module?
Is there some form of specification for each module which tells you what you are required to know for the assessments?
Some modules offer essential textbooks and others don't, so how should notes be made if an essential textbook isn't offered to guide you and you only have lecture notes to go from?
Also if a few textbooks are recommended/essential for each module, does each textbook cover everything needed to know for the module, so a variety of them are recommended for the student to choose one from preference? Or are all the textbooks needed because they altogether cover the contents of the module?

Apologies if I sound very panicky but I hope to get a first this year and I'm the sort of learner who loves definitive notes and a definitive textbook that cover everything that is needed to know.

Thank you very much for the help in advance.
Original post by Albusangy
Hey I have been looking at the lectures early for my modules in Semester 1 and it seems very overwhelming and scary. I'm quite unsure of how I'm going to be able to make notes in the lectures, and make sure I have written down everything needed for each module despite revisiting them after the lectures and using the aid of a textbook.

So a few questions:
Is there some form of specification for each module which tells you what you are required to know for the assessments?
Some modules offer essential textbooks and others don't, so how should notes be made if an essential textbook isn't offered to guide you and you only have lecture notes to go from?
Also if a few textbooks are recommended/essential for each module, does each textbook cover everything needed to know for the module, so a variety of them are recommended for the student to choose one from preference? Or are all the textbooks needed because they altogether cover the contents of the module?

Apologies if I sound very panicky but I hope to get a first this year and I'm the sort of learner who loves definitive notes and a definitive textbook that cover everything that is needed to know.

Hi @Albusangy,

Don't apologise, coming to uni is a big change from secondary school/college/6th Form, so it's understandable that you feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

What I was a student here I wrote down key points from the lectures - basically noting anything you think sounds important and expanding on points given in the powerpoint presentations.

Your module handbook (which you will receive for every module you study, either in hard copy form or on SurreyLearn) will state what your exams/assessments will consist of. If you're unclear about what you will need to cover after reading through the module handbook, please speak to your tutor and they'll be able to clear it up for you :smile:

I would advise covering all the material in your 'essential reading' textbooks, and then, as the user above suggested, deepening your understanding of the subject by checking out the 'recommended reading' if/when you have time.

It's worth noting that your first year marks don't count towards the overall mark you'll receive for your degree at the end of the programme. As long as you get 40% you'll be able to progress to the next year of study, so don't beat yourself up if you don't get a first this year (although I admire your determination and dedication to your studies!).

I hope this helps :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by Albusangy

So a few questions:

@Albusangy, another thing I've just thought about which may help! Our library team run regular workshops to help students with their studying technique, writing essays and other useful skills. You can find a full list of our upcoming workshops here. :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending