The Student Room Group

Extra Curriculars

Hi,

I want to get into Oxbridge, but I have friends who got all a* at GCSE and A-level and did not get in. I was wondering if doing clubs or having a job or volunteering affects your chances of getting in.
Having all A*s doesn't guarantee entry, particularly if they did poorly in the interview, personal statement, and or entrance exam. The academic requirements are really the minimum needed to get your foot in the door and prove why you, not the other applicants with the same grades, are the right person for the place.

I know for a fact that admissions decisions at Cambridge do not take extra-curricular activities into account, the only exception being Medicine, where volunteering is expected. I believe it is the same at Oxford - for more information on that, see this short interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QooFGA_gsQ.
Original post by Nikita.L
Hi,

I want to get into Oxbridge, but I have friends who got all a* at GCSE and A-level and did not get in. I was wondering if doing clubs or having a job or volunteering affects your chances of getting in.

Just tagging in @LMH OXFORD @Murray Edwards Admissions
as @xBasedChris says: grades aren't the be all end all.Having excellent grades doesn’t guarantee you a place. It’s really a very holistic process and we look at multiple things including your personal statement, written work/tests if relevant, interview if given one. We need to see that you are suited to the course/teaching system, and have a genuine subject interest this is really important!

Right again to say that we don't look at extra-curricular. We do look at 'super-curricular' though: things you've done above and beyond your curriculum in your spare time to pursue your interest and demonstrate your enthusiasm. So this could be anything from TED talks, to podcasts, to lectures etc. Important thing is to not go for a listing approach. You read a book, great - what did you actually think about it? Go for depth over breadth.
I can't really add to what @LMH OXFORD and others have said. Grades are not the be-all-and-end-all (though they help) - we are looking for potential as well as attainment already. We're trying to predict the future, to see where you'll be in three years time not just what you've done up to now.
Original post by Nikita.L

Which subject(s)? If there's an admissions test, then that is your chance to shine. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest