The Student Room Group

Will taking a year before doing a levels look bad for medicine application an

So basically I have to make the decision wheather to take a Year out. At the moment I am in a mental health hospital and should be here till December. So would be hard to catch up so its been recommended I take a year out. But this worries me as applying to medicine with a year out I would have to explain about my mental Heath issues early on and I'm worried this will discount me straight of. If this makes sense. For GCSE I got 765AABBBC this was with a lot of exceptional circumstances though -I went into care in year 11 and befor that was at home with a very abusive parent (hence the mental health issues) had 52% attendance in year 10 but only 22% in lessons for example. So I'm basically looking for advice. If I took a year out I'd try and do as much as possible to help application. ECT. But will it discount my application all together. Thanks for reading
(edited 6 years ago)
It's far better to do that, make sure you're okay and get better grades than try and push through for the sake of it, make yourself worse and probably do worse too or end up dropping out partway through. Take the year out, do what you need to do to get yourself better and if/when you feel like it you can start having a look at study-related stuff again. Then next September you'll hopefully be feeling a lot better, have a head start and ready to start formal education again- whether med school is still your goal or not. Good luck, with your recovery and your studies :smile:

Quick Reply