cipper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'll try to keep a very long story short.

Question: Can I defer (postpone) my postgraduate loan until 2018-2019 and restart at a different uni (then the one the loan was approved for)?

Background: My initial plan was always to study for a MSc in GIS at University of Edinburgh starting 2018-2019. On what I could only call an impulse I decided to start a MSc at King's College this year. I got an offer, I managed to get the loan approved and received my first payment, so all good. Now, after the 1st week I'm beginning to have serious doubts about the course and the uni. Don't get me wrong, it's a good uni with a solid academic team however my heart is still with Edinburgh as they have a much better Geography department and I'm a bit frustrated I rushed into applying for King's (it's to do with a death in the family and the immediate mindset that time is of essence and have to do things earlier rather than later).

Now I would like to go back to the initial plan and apply at Edinburgh next year so need to see what my options are? I'm now looking to lose the £500 deposit paid to King's, which I is understandable. My worry is the SFE loan. I haven't paid anything to King's yet so could just return the first payment or defer it for next year towards Edinburgh. Is that a possibility?

Thank you in advance.

Ciprian
Stuart SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cipper)
Hi everyone,

I'll try to keep a very long story short.

Question: Can I defer (postpone) my postgraduate loan until 2018-2019 and restart at a different uni (then the one the loan was approved for)?

Background: My initial plan was always to study for a MSc in GIS at University of Edinburgh starting 2018-2019. On what I could only call an impulse I decided to start a MSc at King's College this year. I got an offer, I managed to get the loan approved and received my first payment, so all good. Now, after the 1st week I'm beginning to have serious doubts about the course and the uni. Don't get me wrong, it's a good uni with a solid academic team however my heart is still with Edinburgh as they have a much better Geography department and I'm a bit frustrated I rushed into applying for King's (it's to do with a death in the family and the immediate mindset that time is of essence and have to do things earlier rather than later).

Now I would like to go back to the initial plan and apply at Edinburgh next year so need to see what my options are? I'm now looking to lose the £500 deposit paid to King's, which I is understandable. My worry is the SFE loan. I haven't paid anything to King's yet so could just return the first payment or defer it for next year towards Edinburgh. Is that a possibility?

Thank you in advance.

Ciprian
Hi Ciprian,

You would be unable to defer your Postgraduate Loan (PGL) until next academic year and then start a new course at a new university. If you leave the current course your university would submit a withdrawal notification and your remaining instalments would be cancelled.

When you reapply for funding in 2018/19, as you had received an instalment of your PGL, you will be ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) being accepted.

You would need to send us a letter detailing your CPR along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances. Where applicable, we recommend the evidence:

- is signed and dated
- confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP
- Letter from university/college on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate and/or A Birth Certificate

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support your claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that you send as much evidence in as possible.

I would recommend discussing the situation with your current university and what evidence they may be able to provide if required.

Regards,

Stuart
cipper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Stuart SFE)
Hi Ciprian,

You would be unable to defer your Postgraduate Loan (PGL) until next academic year and then start a new course at a new university. If you leave the current course your university would submit a withdrawal notification and your remaining instalments would be cancelled.

When you reapply for funding in 2018/19, as you had received an instalment of your PGL, you will be ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) being accepted.

You would need to send us a letter detailing your CPR along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances. Where applicable, we recommend the evidence:

- is signed and dated
- confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP
- Letter from university/college on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate and/or A Birth Certificate

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support your claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that you send as much evidence in as possible.

I would recommend discussing the situation with your current university and what evidence they may be able to provide if required.

Regards,

Stuart
Thank you for your reply Stuart, it's in line with what your colleague told me over the phone. I understand the steps to follow, they are in place to avoid people constantly changing their minds and the admin headache that probably comes with that however I'm not going to use a personal loss, or my state of mind, as a bargaining chip to defer debt from one year to another. Again, I fully understand the requirements for evidence, I just cannot do it myself, it's too personal.

I will contact King's to explain my situation, and accept full responsibility for my rushed decision to start a MSc. And, as a consequence I will start saving money to self-finance a MSc at Edinburgh next year.

Again, thank you for replying to my post.

Kind regards,

Ciprian
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (511)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (309)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.55%

Watched Threads