Can I get an A* in Maths + Further Maths ?

Watch
dpatel21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So these are my current UMS scores as cashed in:
Maths: C12 - 197, S1 - 94
Further Maths: FP1 - 95, D1 - 84, M1 - 84
Extra: M2 - 75

And I am gonna be doing: C34, FP2, S2, M3. Say I got over 90% in all of these A2 modules. Can I still get A* in both subjects ?

Maths should work out as I need over 180/200 in C34. But for further maths my A2 modules need to be over 90% and M2 is just 75. Will Edexcel automatically swap M1+M2 to maths and rest to Further Maths ?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To my knowledge all exam boards will "swap" module scores to maximise your grade, with the exception that C1-4 which always only apply to the A-level Maths and not FM, iirc.
dpatel21
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
To my knowledge all exam boards will "swap" module scores to maximise your grade, with the exception that C1-4 which always only apply to the A-level Maths and not FM, iirc.
So they can also swap AS modules that are already cashed-in ?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The full rules can be found here.

You can "re-cash" units, which previously was free, but (formerly? you must be one of the last cohort to still have exams for these courses...) currently costs £4 per unit, and normally schools will, or at least can, re-cash your subjects once you have all your units. This will then allow them to be moved between the qualifications as necessary to maximise your grade.

Your school really should've waited until you did all your units to cash-in, but I suppose it's irrelevant with the new system now anyway.
dpatel21
Rep:
?
The full rules can be found here.

You can "re-cash" units, which previously was free, but (formerly? you must be one of the last cohort to still have exams for these courses...) currently costs £4 per unit, and normally schools will, or at least can, re-cash your subjects once you have all your units. This will then allow them to be moved between the qualifications as necessary to maximise your grade.

Your school really should've waited until you did all your units to cash-in, but I suppose it's irrelevant with the new system now anyway.
They cash-in because they need to get an AS grade from said units that can be used for predictions , university, etc.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dpatel21)
They cash-in because they need to get an AS grade from said units that can be used for predictions , university, etc.
I'm fairly certain they can know your exam results without "claiming" the qualification itself...but regardless, they can re-cash them without prejudice and they will be re-optimised. I imagine your school will pay a small fee for this, which they probably normally do anyway - if not this cost may be passed on to you. I'm sure you can work out how much it would be at most for £4 per unit re-cashed

You should discuss this with your schools relevant examination officials though, but the long and short of it is they can re-cash them and that will optimise your grade. You may end up retaking a module before then anyway, rendering it partially moot - I don't know
dpatel21
Rep:
?
I'm fairly certain they can know your exam results without "claiming" the qualification itself...but regardless, they can re-cash them without prejudice and they will be re-optimised. I imagine your school will pay a small fee for this, which they probably normally do anyway - if not this cost may be passed on to you. I'm sure you can work out how much it would be at most for £4 per unit re-cashed

You should discuss this with your schools relevant examination officials though, but the long and short of it is they can re-cash them and that will optimise your grade. You may end up retaking a module before then anyway, rendering it partially moot - I don't know

Ok thanks
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah to get an A* in maths you need 180/200 on c3 and 4. In fm you need 270/300 on your best 3 fm modules (any module that isn't core) with a 2 or 3 on the end. So the m2 result wont count for the A* unless you get 195 total on 2 of fp2 s2 and m3. I would say you're very likely to get an A* in maths because c3 and 4 aren't that hard but further might be a struggle. S2 is quite easy but m3 and fp2 are really hard. You might want to resit m2 as it's easier than m3, just to give yourself more chances of hitting those high marks.
4nationgames
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it will make your maths grade the lowest highest grade possible (lowest A*), then give the rest to further maths

taking into account the few rules that is
dpatel21
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
Yeah to get an A* in maths you need 180/200 on c3 and 4. In fm you need 270/300 on your best 3 fm modules (any module that isn't core) with a 2 or 3 on the end. So the m2 result wont count for the A* unless you get 195 total on 2 of fp2 s2 and m3. I would say you're very likely to get an A* in maths because c3 and 4 aren't that hard but further might be a struggle. S2 is quite easy but m3 and fp2 are really hard. You might want to resit m2 as it's easier than m3, just to give yourself more chances of hitting those high marks.
Ah thanks for this. I was just worried that since I already gave M2 they might count it and discard a unit with a higher UMS. It seems though according to other responses that I can re-cash-in and then all modules will be adjusted to give highest possible grade.
dpatel21
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4nationgames)
it will make your maths grade the lowest highest grade possible (lowest A*), then give the rest to further maths

taking into account the few rules that is
Okay thanks
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is standard practice to cash-in at the end of Year 12 (British state schools are required to) so the system takes this into account. Your school will re-cash-in all your Maths A level qualifications at the end of the course and then your applied units will be allocated in older to maximise the following (in this priority order)
  1. Maths grade
  2. FM grade
  3. Maths UMS

You need 270 from your best 2 A2 units in FM so you need to nail high UMS in all of FP2, S2 and M3 or re-sit M2 to give you a little more room for manoeuvre. Next year's timetable is out, I'd check to see when M2 will be compared to the other units you're taking before deciding your best approach.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your school really should've waited until you did all your units to cash-in,
I admit this isn't the case for the OP as he's an international student, but state schools are required to cash in or they lose funding so it is the normal thing to do and works fine.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
I admit this isn't the case for the OP as he's an international student, but state schools are required to cash in or they lose funding so it is the normal thing to do and works fine.
Really? I suppose that's not unsurprising for the ridiculous way the government "funds" education though :/
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Really? I suppose that's not unsurprising for the ridiculous way the government "funds" education though :/
Not unreasonably funding is dependent on a decent proportion of students at a college to complete the courses they start - the cash-in is the indication of the completion.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Not unreasonably funding is dependent on a decent proportion of students at a college to complete the courses they start - the cash-in is the indication of the completion.
I don't really think "leaving with an AS qualification which is purely academic and so neither prepares for uni nor for the workforce" is really a useful metric to use but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ that's another thread for another day I think...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads