arahman5166
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Im doing gcse art, does anyone think I should drop it.
ithinkitslily
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what reasons do you have for dropping it? (enjoyement/time/difficulty?) would you replace it with another subject?
midwife101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unless you want a career in art or anything competitive then I don't see a problem with dropping it as it's not your future career/degree/ a levels etc x
arahman5166
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by ithinkitslily)
what reasons do you have for dropping it? (enjoyement/time/difficulty?) would you replace it with another subject?
time management
noonslug
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took Art as a GCSE and honestly hated it, although I love art itself. Maybe it depends on your teachers. If you don't want anything to do with Art in the future, there's no point in doing it, UNLESS you enjoy it. Additionally, it takes up a lot of your time and can become very stressful, so there's always that.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want to, sure. Though do check if your school will allow you to.
Clvire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by arahman5166)
Im doing gcse art, does anyone think I should drop it.
I finished Art GCSE last May, I managed to get an A in it but honestly I regret not dropping it, even though I love Art. If you're having regrets about it right now at this early stage, I strongly think you should reconsider unless you're extremely prepared to put time into it (which i must stay I truly wasn't). I found that taking Art really affected the grades I got in my other GCSES as I didn't leave enough time to study for them whilst panic finishing stuff for my Art.

On the other hand, my friend absolutely loved it and is now doing it for AS. I don't think you should drop it if you really like it or you need it for example. If you plan your time well you'll be fine
Zoe Lea
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What are your other GCSES's?
I also did Art GCSE, and it took up SO much of my time, many people will say the same as me but seriously it was awful!! It took up revision time for other subjects and because of that I didn't do as well in my other subjects.
Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did GCSE Art and I have an absolute passion for art (despite not doing it for A Level)! I got full marks and I’m actually working on an article for advice regarding GCSE art on my blog (www.pastelinspire.wordpress.com)

If you don’t have a passion for it, I wouldn’t really recommend continuing with it as it takes up a huge amount of time; I already drew in my free time so it wasn’t such a bit stretch for me! In this way I agree that art takes up a lot of time, but for me, who has been trying to create a brand out my art for around four years now, it wasn’t really anything new! (I got 11A*s and 1A on results day so it is possible to still do well in other subjects)

My top tips for coping with GCSE art are:
Remember it’s better to fully finish part of a piece to a high standard, rather than all your piece to a low standard
Trust your art teacher because they are the one who will mark it in the end–try and be open minded about taking their advice
And try and fit art homework in with your normal schedule; I always say to do your art homework while you watch tv! Time management really is key: since I was constantly up to date with my work, I actually had 3 free periods before study leave in art to just revise my other subjects, while everyone else had to rush to finish projects!

Good luck with whatever you choose!!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I disliked GCSE Art in honesty, and most of Year 12 IB Art - however once we began doing more individually driven projects later in Year 12 and throughout Year 13 I enjoyed it much more (thanks in no small part to my teacher identifying that I was a painter and pushing me, kicking and screaming, into that ). If you enjoy art, and think you might want to continue with it, then it may be worth "toughing it out". If you're not particularly enjoying it or aren't particularly interested in it now, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and stick with something more engaging.
callum.2002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yes, art is so dead trust
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (312)
84.1%
No (59)
15.9%

Watched Threads