The Student Room Group

Oxford Mathematics MAT performance and Reference?

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by premedmath
Hello, I was wondering how important references are when it comes to Oxford Mathematics admissions!

I've done 3 past papers so far under exam conditions and I've been getting scores slightly above and below the successful applicant average.
I've heard that MAT is what really matters for Maths admissions which is kind of a good news to me; however in the Oxford website, it states that they take various things into account such as personal statements and references and my concern is that despite performing really well in school, my teacher totally forgot to mention my performance in the UK Senior Maths Challenge, and Senior Kangaroo, and so on. So I was just wondering if having a 'normal' reference would ever hold my chances back from getting an offer?

Thank you!

Just tagging in @LMH OXFORD
Hello, I was wondering how important references are when it comes to Oxford Mathematics admissions!

I've done 3 past papers so far under exam conditions and I've been getting scores slightly above and below the successful applicant average.
I've heard that MAT is what really matters for Maths admissions which is kind of a good news to me; however in the Oxford website, it states that they take various things into account such as personal statements and references and my concern is that despite performing really well in school, my teacher totally forgot to mention my performance in the UK Senior Maths Challenge, and Senior Kangaroo, and so on. So I was just wondering if having a 'normal' reference would ever hold my chances back from getting an offer?

Thank you!

Has the application been submitted? If not then the reference could be amended.

Did you menton these in your PS?
Original post by Muttley79
Has the application been submitted? If not then the reference could be amended.

Did you menton these in your PS?

Yes I have! And I asked my teacher if he can add it in. I was wondering if you could answer my last question? I just edited it!
Yes I have! And I asked my teacher if he can add it in. I was wondering if you could answer my last question? I just edited it!

Which question?

Why is your A level not cashed in? Are you at a Private school?
Which question?

Why is your A level not cashed in? Are you at a Private school?

That part!

"Also my school made me do A Level Maths in one year and due to my weak performance in C4, I got an A instead of an A* though not certificated. But I did get an okay overall UMS of 556/600. I was wondering if I'll be in a disadvantagous position? I'm considering resitting C4. I had to move homes for the first 7 months and I had to rent a flat and do all the paper wprk on my own so that kind of affected my studying I guess."

My school only certificates AS Levels but my tutor wrote about me getting an A along with my UMS score in my reference. And no! I go to a state school.
That part!

"Also my school made me do A Level Maths in one year and due to my weak performance in C4, I got an A instead of an A* though not certificated. But I did get an okay overall UMS of 556/600. I was wondering if I'll be in a disadvantagous position? I'm considering resitting C4. I had to move homes for the first 7 months and I had to rent a flat and do all the paper wprk on my own so that kind of affected my studying I guess."

My school only certificates AS Levels but my tutor wrote about me getting an A along with my UMS score in my reference. And no! I go to a state school.

Really? They should cash in and then re-cash next year when you take F Maths. Many schools do this.

If they have explained the mitigating reasons then you might be OK but aim to get a high mark in MAT. Which college are you applying for?
Really? They should cash in and then re-cash next year when you take F Maths. Many schools do this.

If they have explained the mitigating reasons then you might be OK but aim to get a high mark in MAT. Which college are you applying for?

I actually asked them and they said it's been the college's policy for years and that's how they do it. Well I suppose it'd be kinda unfair to certificate the whole A-Level which was taken in one year... Considering the fact that I'm doing a two year course in college.

By high, how high do you mean? I've done three past papers (2008, 2012, 2013) so far and I've been getting slightly above and below the successful applicant average. Is that okay? I put in Trinity College on my UCAS but I'm thinking of switching it to Lincoln College.
I actually asked them and they said it's been the college's policy for years and that's how they do it. Well I suppose it'd be kinda unfair to certificate the whole A-Level which was taken in one year... Considering the fact that I'm doing a two year course in college.

By high, how high do you mean? I've done three past papers (2008, 2012, 2013) so far and I've been getting slightly above and below the successful applicant average. Is that okay? I put in Trinity College on my UCAS but I'm thinking of switching it to Lincoln College.

No, many schools do cash in after one year - you'd be at an advantage if you'd got the A*.

Without any F Maths modules you need a strong MAT with your weaker C4. Has your referee mentioned the issues you had as that will help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending