The Student Room Group

I can't afford student accomodation and am having to rethink my studies for it

So I live in Scotland and am applying for a student loan through SAAS, my issue being that because both of my parents work and together earn just over £34,000, I am not eligible for a bursary and therefore have to take the lowest amount for student loan.
My issue is that I can't afford to live in Edinburgh, where my university is, and I can't afford the commute from where I live now. My family are honestly struggling, and cannot provide financial support and I really don't know what to do. I have a part time job but I don't make even close enough to be able to support myself and I'm having to consider whether or not I should just give up on university.
The courses I'm applying for also have pretty extortionate audition & application fees which is mental enough, I'm just really upset at having spent years of practice and work to have to give everything up.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by el.182
So I live in Scotland and am applying for a student loan through SAAS, my issue being that because both of my parents work and together earn just over £34,000, I am not eligible for a bursary and therefore have to take the lowest amount for student loan.
My issue is that I can't afford to live in Edinburgh, where my university is, and I can't afford the commute from where I live now. My family are honestly struggling, and cannot provide financial support and I really don't know what to do. I have a part time job but I don't make even close enough to be able to support myself and I'm having to consider whether or not I should just give up on university.
The courses I'm applying for also have pretty extortionate audition & application fees which is mental enough, I'm just really upset at having spent years of practice and work to have to give everything up.

Are you looking at the cheapest accommodation available? have you spoken to your parents about whether they can afford anything at all?
Reply 2
I’m surprised with that income they can’t help you out.

There’s not much you can do, get a job to cover accommodation costs (which you already have) or go to a local university and commute.

Your family aren’t struggling at all. Your education isn’t their priority.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Are you looking at the cheapest accommodation available? have you spoken to your parents about whether they can afford anything at all?

The cheapest accommodation I can find is £92 a week. My parents told me that because they didn't go to uni, I don't have to and maybe to reconsider it.
Reply 4
Original post by Ishax
I’m surprised with that income they can’t help you out.

There’s not much you can do, get a job to cover accommodation costs (which you already have) or go to a local university and commute.

Your family aren’t struggling at all. Your education isn’t their priority.

My dad ended up in hospital a few months ago and hasn't been able to work, however in that time his pay band went up. Usually his overtime can cover us but recently it's been difficult. Maybe I didn't word it correctly, I agree that education isn't my family's priority but no, things aren't going well
Original post by el.182
The cheapest accommodation I can find is £92 a week. My parents told me that because they didn't go to uni, I don't have to and maybe to reconsider it.

is that halls, perhaps there's cheaper private accommodation out there?
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
is that halls, perhaps there's cheaper private accommodation out there?

That's what I'm looking for just now, but due to the location I imagine it's not looking likely
Work full time over the summers. Work part time during term time. That should give you enough.
Reply 8
Original post by el.182
My dad ended up in hospital a few months ago and hasn't been able to work, however in that time his pay band went up. Usually his overtime can cover us but recently it's been difficult. Maybe I didn't word it correctly, I agree that education isn't my family's priority but no, things aren't going well

Sorry to hear that.

Surely, your parents have some sort of savings to dip into for emergencies?

This is a common trend unfortunately, people who have high income don’t support their children at university from the threads I’ve seen on here.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Ishax
Sorry to hear that.

Surely, your parents have some sort of savings to dip into for emergencies?

This is a common trend unfortunately, people who have high income don’t support their children at university from the threads I’ve seen on here.

Good luck!

Just over £34,000 a year is not a high family income, once you add up all the costs of house, bills, food and possibly other siblings, at that level I would not expect that much was left spare.

Edinburgh, whilst not an ultra expensive city is certainly not a cheap city.
Reply 10
Ahh student finance is awful, they should look into each persons individual situation. My parents had to sell our house and downsize due to the pittance of money I got to pay for my accommodation in London. Literally just covered just over two terms of my costs and my parents had to pay the rest.

Oh and my sister went to university the same year as me, my fault for having a gap year though.
Reply 11
Original post by LucyCarreck
Ahh student finance is awful, they should look into each persons individual situation. My parents had to sell our house and downsize due to the pittance of money I got to pay for my accommodation in London. Literally just covered just over two terms of my costs and my parents had to pay the rest.

Oh and my sister went to university the same year as me, my fault for having a gap year though.

But they can't look into individual circumstances. If so, people would be like "ooooh my pony needs louboutins so that's essential expenditure" and the whole system would get ridiculous
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
But they can't look into individual circumstances. If so, people would be like "ooooh my pony needs louboutins so that's essential expenditure" and the whole system would get ridiculous

Ahh I think you missed my point of course finance shouldn't be provided to pay for pony's fashionwear...

I mean they could take into account that medical situations are expensive, some families have mortgages, London costs more, when there is more than one family member at university at the same time or the students parents have lots of children (which obviously is their parents choice to have more children than they can afford and not the student), that sort of thing. Some rich parents don't provide any support for their children and believe they can live on the loan alone.

Just things that are out of the students control.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Ahh I think you missed my point of course finance shouldn't be provided to pay for pony's fashionwear...

I mean they could take into account that medical situations are expensive, some families have mortgages, London costs more, when there is more than one family member at university at the same time or the students parents have lots of children (which obviously is their parents choice to have more children than they can afford and not the student), that sort of thing. Some rich parents don't provide any support for their children and believe they can live on the loan alone.

No, you just don't know what student finance takes into account. Go and do some research and then write your post again with correct information
Original post by DJKL
Just over £34,000 a year is not a high family income, once you add up all the costs of house, bills, food and possibly other siblings, at that level I would not expect that much was left spare.

Edinburgh, whilst not an ultra expensive city is certainly not a cheap city.

Perhaps, shouldn’t have so many children then?

My parents don’t make a third of that and yet we still have bills to pay etc. They also have two other children to take care of.

In my opinion, £34,000 is a high salary and good income you can live on. OP had admitted her education isn’t his/her parents priority.

If they chose not to save for emergencies or anything like that, it’s their own fault.

If OP desperately wants to go to Edinburgh then she/he has to convince her/his parents to help out or take a gap year to earn the money to go.

I don’t feel sorry for people who have that type of income.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
Perhaps, shouldn’t have so many children then?

My parents don’t make a third of that and yet we still have bills to pay etc. They also have two other children to take care of.

In my opinion, £34,000 is a high salary and good income you can live on. OP had admitted her education isn’t his/her parents priority.

If they chose not to save for emergencies or anything like that, it’s their own fault.

If OP desperately wants to go to Edinburgh then she/he has to convince her/his parents to help out or take a gap year to earn the money to go.

I don’t feel sorry for people who have that type of income.

If your parents earn a third of that and have children there will be plenty of government assistance through tax credits etc.
Original post by ajj2000
If your parents earn a third of that and have children there will be plenty of government assistance through tax credits etc.

When I said a third, it wasn’t literally that.

They only have one child under the age of 18.

I get literally nothing from my parents.

Thankfully, I get free text books (all students do).

I work part time. I pay for everything myself. I paid for my own bus/train pass and laptop, I have to do everything for myself yet I’m not the one making threads about “money”.
(edited 6 years ago)

Rich parents should have thought about this and having children.

Mortgage, really? My parents have a mortgage they have to pay. Majority of the country to do, except those who live on rent.

Medical conditions, yes should be taken into consideration and appropriate equipment should help support the student.

This is all due to the fact people popping out children without taking a financial look at the situation. Why have so many children when you can’t support them then complain about having no money? ********, on that type of salary. You managed to save £0.
Original post by el.182

Can't they even give you what they will save because they aren't feeding you?
Original post by Ishax
When I said a third, it wasn’t literally that.

They only have one child under the age of 18.

I get literally nothing from my parents.

Thankfully, I get free text books (all students do).

I work part time. I pay for everything myself. I paid for my own bus/train pass and laptop, I have to do everything for myself yet I’m not the one making threads about “money”.

Look, there is a lot of luck in where you live and access to jobs. In the pretty poor area of London where I work lots of young people live at home and go to London universities, They have pretty busy part time jobs. This is helped by the fact that there are lots of part time jobs going around.

In my home town it would be pretty hard to find work with times that fit in with studies. Not a reflection on the students - its just tougher to find work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending