The Student Room Group

Do grades matter more than skill?

I'm taking 4 A-Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science) and despite the fact that I enjoy them all and I'm quite good at them all, I think I'll probably get an A*AAA. I know that the entry requirements are usually A*A*A for Computer Science but I've also got a decent portfolio under my belt of games and other such projects. Will these projects have any impact on the application process or are they simply an additive to heighten the chances of an interview?
Neither Oxford or Cambridge allow extra-curricular activities to influence the decision surrounding your application. Of course, it looks good for you to have done extra projects, but it will not have a discernible impact on your offer. If you do not meet the entry requirements, no amount of extra projects will change their decision.

Cambridge require A*A*A for Computer Science, but Oxford only require A*AA, with the A* in Maths, FM, or Computing / Computer Science - so you meet their requirements.
Original post by AmmarTa
I'm taking 4 A-Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science) and despite the fact that I enjoy them all and I'm quite good at them all, I think I'll probably get an A*AAA. I know that the entry requirements are usually A*A*A for Computer Science but I've also got a decent portfolio under my belt of games and other such projects. Will these projects have any impact on the application process or are they simply an additive to heighten the chances of an interview?

Just tagging in @LMH OXFORD @Murray Edwards Admissions
We need to be confident that you are capable of hitting required levels in public examinations at the end of your schooling as our extensive research has shown that the better students do in these the more likely they are to do well in Cambridge and, vice versa, if they perform less well then they are likely to do less well at Cambridge. We do take other things into account, including super-curricular exploration of the subject, which is why we do not simply admit on the basis of exam grades alone but the offer levels are where they are for a reason in that we regard that as the minimum level necessary to do well at Cambridge.
Reply 4
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
We need to be confident that you are capable of hitting required levels in public examinations at the end of your schooling as our extensive research has shown that the better students do in these the more likely they are to do well in Cambridge and, vice versa, if they perform less well then they are likely to do less well at Cambridge. We do take other things into account, including super-curricular exploration of the subject, which is why we do not simply admit on the basis of exam grades alone but the offer levels are where they are for a reason in that we regard that as the minimum level necessary to do well at Cambridge.

I'll most likely shift less attention towards extra-curricular activities and focus on the examined aspects of my education in even further depth then, thank you very much for your advice!
Original post by xBasedChris
Neither Oxford or Cambridge allow extra-curricular activities to influence the decision surrounding your application.

Extra-curriculars can tip the balance in completely borderline cases. But certainly, they don't carry much weight.

OP was asking about super-curricular activities, i.e. activities outside of school studies, but directly related to the proposed course of studies. They get a bit more weight, as they can give evidence of relevant ability.

Of course, it looks good for you to have done extra projects, but it will not have a discernible impact on your offer. If you do not meet the entry requirements, no amount of extra projects will change their decision.

Indeed.

Cambridge require A*A*A for Computer Science, but Oxford only require A*AA, with the A* in Maths, FM, or Computing / Computer Science - so you meet their requirements.

Yes, although not being predicted an A* in Further Maths is a distinct negative. OP will have to persuade us that he's better than that prediction suggests.

Gavin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending