The Student Room Group

Which subject do I drop?

At the moment I am taking 4 A-levels: History, Eng Lit, French and Psychology. I originally wasn't taking psychology and didn't apply for it because I didn't think I'd manage to get a 6 in maths, (which I did end up getting), so added it on recently as my fourth, but I'm finding the workload really difficult. Mostly because of History. I was doubtful about taking History to begin with because the course was very similar to my GCSE one, but I got an A* so decided it'd be a safe option.

Four essay-heavy subjects are getting too much at this point though, and I need to drop one. Ideally, it'd be History - although I've only been studying Psych for a few weeks I love it so far and can definitely see myself doing something with it at degree - the same goes with all my other subjects, French, Eng. As for History, I'm finding it extremely boring; I was right about the topics being the same. I feel like I'm revising stuff I've already learnt.

So why keep History? I hear it's favoured by Unis, and Psychology not so much. I also don't take any sciences alongside Psych, and my maths is my weakest area, which concerns me. I'll probably do well in History, but I enjoy Psych so much more. It's just I have no idea if I'll do well.

What do I do?
you’ll do better in a subject if you enjoy it, history will only get harder at A2 and history is not a safe option if you don’t enjoy it because the course just gets harder lol, stick to what you love and you’ll get the grades
And anyways a phycology a level will be fine for a phycology degree
Reply 3
Original post by zahratasneem
you’ll do better in a subject if you enjoy it, history will only get harder at A2 and history is not a safe option if you don’t enjoy it because the course just gets harder lol, stick to what you love and you’ll get the grades

That's exactly what I'm dreading lol. I hope so, thanks
Reply 4
Original post by cc85734
And anyways a phycology a level will be fine for a phycology degree

I hope so, although I think some universities prefer you to have science subjects
Original post by sophie0602
At the moment I am taking 4 A-levels: History, Eng Lit, French and Psychology. I originally wasn't taking psychology and didn't apply for it because I didn't think I'd manage to get a 6 in maths, (which I did end up getting), so added it on recently as my fourth, but I'm finding the workload really difficult. Mostly because of History. I was doubtful about taking History to begin with because the course was very similar to my GCSE one, but I got an A* so decided it'd be a safe option.

Four essay-heavy subjects are getting too much at this point though, and I need to drop one. Ideally, it'd be History - although I've only been studying Psych for a few weeks I love it so far and can definitely see myself doing something with it at degree - the same goes with all my other subjects, French, Eng. As for History, I'm finding it extremely boring; I was right about the topics being the same. I feel like I'm revising stuff I've already learnt.

So why keep History? I hear it's favoured by Unis, and Psychology not so much. I also don't take any sciences alongside Psych, and my maths is my weakest area, which concerns me. I'll probably do well in History, but I enjoy Psych so much more. It's just I have no idea if I'll do well.

What do I do?

Hi, im a university student so hopefully I can help you.

I think drop history - because from what you said about the fact that it is boring and the work load is hard to manage. It would be worse if you dropped one of the other three instead of history.

The point which you said about uni's favouring history more than psychology I think is total rubbish if I have to be polite and honest with you. You can do whatever you want to do. From what your saying, you're enjoying the other three subjects.

Follow your heart and not the expectations of others - even if the uni's are more favourable to history, who cares!! :smile:
I hope so, although I think some universities prefer you to have science subjects

If you don't enjoy history, doing it for A level will be hell. It's very hard work with loads to learn, but we do interesting topics
Reply 7
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
Hi, im a university student so hopefully I can help you.

I think drop history - because from what you said about the fact that it is boring and the work load is hard to manage. It would be worse if you dropped one of the other three instead of history.

The point which you said about uni's favouring history more than psychology I think is total rubbish if I have to be polite and honest with you. You can do whatever you want to do. From what your saying, you're enjoying the other three subjects.

Follow your heart and not the expectations of others - even if the uni's are more favourable to history, who cares!! :smile:

Thanks so much!
Reply 8
Original post by lukerules1234
If you don't enjoy history, doing it for A level will be hell. It's very hard work with loads to learn, but we do interesting topics

I enjoy the learning occasionally, just not the constant essays 😂
I enjoy the learning occasionally, just not the constant essays 😂

The fact that you don't like the essays gives me the impression that you don't like the subject really. At uni I assume that there will be a lot of writing to do for history which Im sure you will not like. I think you said there were essays to write in psychology but it seems you enjoy it. :smile:

I still say drop history :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest