The Student Room Group

severe mental illness whilst studying a levels

does anyone have any advice for a levels whilst suffering from multiple mental illnesses? over the past week I've spent some nights in a psych unit due to struggling so much, and in the summer i was in hospital and wheelchair bound for a pretty serious attempt to end everything.
alongside treatment, I'm planning on taking 2 a levels this summer, but with my medications i find it so hard to concentrate and struggle with my memory.
i guess i'd just really appreciate some advice… feel free to ask any questions too. thanks.
Reply 1
bump
Original post by shihtzu
does anyone have any advice for a levels whilst suffering from multiple mental illnesses? over the past week I've spent some nights in a psych unit due to struggling so much, and in the summer i was in hospital and wheelchair bound for a pretty serious attempt to end everything.
alongside treatment, I'm planning on taking 2 a levels this summer, but with my medications i find it so hard to concentrate and struggle with my memory.
i guess i'd just really appreciate some advice… feel free to ask any questions too. thanks.

Firstly, your health is much more important than A levels! If you have to repeat a year or anything it doesn't matter as much as your health. Try to do little bits when you can, but don't worry about it if you can't. Write down notes and whatever when you do learn so that you can come back to it and relearn anything without having to make notes from scratch. Try to break things up so that you only learn a small topic at once, so that you don't completely lose concentration by trying to do too much at once..
I know I've said this, but your health is seriously the most important thing here! If you ever want to talk, my pms are open :smile:
If it helps find out earlier on in your a levels how you study. If you prefer to reads, get those books out if you prefer to listen to audiobooks give it a try if you prefer to watch YouTube on your topics or movies give it a try. Then see what works

The next thing is make the most of technology or notepads
Use a note pad for everything you need
Diaries/calendars are your new best friends
Use your mobile’s tasks managers/reminders for everything
I also find what also helps my mental health listen to music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 4
Original post by shihtzu

Hey. You will struggle a lot but it is possible. When I was studying (at uni, but same thing really), I was always drugged up on sedating meds (benzos). I'd fall asleep a lot during lectures and seminars, and my memory was affected a lot. But as long as you're willing to spend some time studying at home, you will be ok, I promise.

Quick Reply

Latest