Oxford colleges: myths, stereotypes and rankings Watch

MarilynManson
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As I still have not decided to which Oxford college I am going to apply, I was hoping that some current (or former) Oxonians would share the general stereotypes about their colleges and whether that reflects their true nature.

For instance, Jesus college is mostly inhabited by Welsh students. Brasenose and Oriel are for snooty right-wingers, whereas Balliol is always swarming with lefties. What else?
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You may be interested in this Oxford Colleges Pros & Cons page which has been written by students.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Balliol swarming with lefties? Not heard that one before :holmes: You sure you're not confusing that with the stereotype for Wadham?

I'm not sure what my college's stereotype is. When I started, our Provost told us that we wouldn't get Firsts because we'd be too busy engaging in social and extra-curricular activities. Which sounds about right tbh, though I've no idea how we've done on the Norrington Table in the past few years (or ever really, lol).

There's this myth that Woosta (Worcester) is not near the city centre, but you can get to Carfax (generally considered Oxford's city centre) within five mins if you're a reasonably-paced walker...
MarilynManson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
You may be interested in this Oxford Colleges Pros & Cons page which has been written by students.
Many thanks!
MarilynManson
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Balliol swarming with lefties? Not heard that one before :holmes: You sure you're not confusing that with the stereotype for Wadham?

I'm not sure what my college's stereotype is. When I started, our Provost told us that we wouldn't get Firsts because we'd be too busy engaging in social and extra-curricular activities. Which sounds about right tbh, though I've no idea how we've done on the Norrington Table in the past few years (or ever really, lol).

There's this myth that Woosta (Worcester) is not near the city centre, but you can get to Carfax (generally considered Oxford's city centre) within five mins if you're a reasonably-paced walker...
Yep, I have come across that claim several times. If you read the alternative prospectus, it actually mentions The People's Republic of Balliol, not Wadham.
It does baffle me too, as Balliol is considered to be one of the strongest colleges offereing PPE (and come on, leftism and economics? ). It produced BoJo, though, but it may be the case when the exception proves the rule).

I remember trying to find Woosta during the open day and its location seemed quite unusual? It is certainly not the smallest college, so it seems to have just enough space inside not to get a fag about anything outside of it.
Attempt2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
why does no one ever mention christ church ?? am applying there for medicine, is it like really bad or something? (in terms of the people i mean, the place is gorgeous and has high standards)
MarilynManson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Attempt2)
why does no one ever mention christ church ?? am applying there for medicine, is it like really bad or something? (in terms of the people i mean, the place is gorgeous and has high standards)
Well, one does not really need to ask about Chirst Church. Res ipsa loquitur. The grandeur of its building attracts everyone, and snooty public school boys (ooops) are not an exception. But it certainly is not as snobbish as Brasenose and Oriel colleges, so I can guarantee that you will like it.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Attempt2)
I went to St Peter's many years ago, and was slightly horrified when my daughter got a place at Ch Ch 4 years ago! My preconceptions were wholly wrong - the accommodation was very good, she found a congenial group of friends (she went to a comprehensive school), the staff were supportive, and you never quite lose the thrill entering Tom Quad or walking up the Hogwarts staircase for dinner. The only downside was the crowds of tourists during visiting hours.

Having said that, I think that one's personal experience at any college is largely dependent on the cohort you enter with. Nearly a third of the entire U/G body changes every year, and about a quarter of each year's intake will have applied to another college anyway. The result is that the social atmosphere of every college community is rather dynamic.
username3525234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Loool I applied to Oriel without knowing about this "snooty right-wingers" stereotype about them smh
Guess I'm just going to have to hold it down for Corbyn if I get in :bl:
I do play right wing in football though, hopefully that is what you meant
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MarilynManson)
Well, one does not really need to ask about Chirst Church. Res ipsa loquitur. The grandeur of its building attracts everyone, and snooty public boys (oops) are not an exception. But it certainly is not as snobbish as Brasenose and Oriel colleges, so I can guarantee that you will like it.
I'm not saying Christ Church is anything less than friendly, but it does have the second-worst state-to-independent ratio (Trinity has the worst), so I'm not sure why you're taking pot shots at Brasenose and Oriel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (20)
16.39%
Labour (48)
39.34%
Liberal Democrats (24)
19.67%
Green Party (6)
4.92%
Brexit Party (4)
3.28%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (3)
2.46%
Plaid Cymru (4)
3.28%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)