Tricky situation with carriageway slip road during test - what do? Watch

lunnndoner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
You're on the slip road, building up speed, about to join a high speed carriageway. Once you've built up sufficient speed, you begin the whole 'mirror-signal-manoeuvre' routine to emerge onto the carriageway from the slip road.

What do you do if at this moment, you see there isn't enough gap between you and the car behind you on the carriageway lane that you want to move into?

From my understanding, you shouldn't slow down to let that car behind you overtake because that would mean joining the carriageway at a dangerously low speed, and besides, what if there's another car right behind that one? Potentially the same problem once that car has overtaken you.

You also can't speed up to increase the gap between you and the traffic behind, because you should already be close to the max speed limit when you're about to emerge from the slip road.

Obviously the slip road will end soon, so what should you do if you get this situation during your driving test?

Also, for a 70mph carriageway, what minimum length of gap would suffice for merging from a slip road?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lunnndoner)
You're on the slip road, building up speed, about to join a high speed carriageway. Once you've built up sufficient speed, you begin the whole 'mirror-signal-manoeuvre' routine to emerge onto the carriageway from the slip road onto the lane right of it.

What do you do if at this moment, you see there isn't enough gap between you and the car behind you on the carriageway lane that you want to move into?

From my understanding, you shouldn't slow down to let that car behind you overtake because that would mean joining the carriageway at a dangerously low speed, and besides, what if there's another car right behind that one? Potentially the same problem once that car has overtaken you.

You also can't speed up to increase the gap between you and the traffic behind, because you should already be close to the max speed limit when you're about to emerge from the slip road.

Obviously the slip road will end soon, so what should you do if you get this situation during your driving test?
You've got it all wrong.

You find your gap, and then accelerate to the speed to enter the gap.

Dual carriageways aren't always flowing at the limit, so you should never just blindly accelerae to the speed limit as you suggest
melinae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bloop
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by melinae)
From what I'm gathering from your question, you just have to stop and wait for a gap. If you can't safely move over then you have no other choice. You just have to wait for an even bigger gap but to be fair it's not that hard to build up speed coming onto the carriageway as well. I had a motorway lesson yesterday and this was what my instructor said and it makes logical sense if you can't move over.

Apologies if I'm misinterpreting your question
No, you muppet. You don't stop on a slip road, unless the other traffic is stationary - and that rarely happens. If you can't merge, you've judged it wrong.
melinae
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Juno)
No, you muppet. You don't stop on a slip road, unless the other traffic is stationary - and that rarely happens. If you can't merge, you've judged it wrong.
Nevermind, I misinterpreted his question
Juno
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by melinae)
Nevermind, I misinterpreted his question
No, you're just a bad driver and an equally skilled liar
lunnndoner
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Juno)
You've got it all wrong.

You find your gap, and then accelerate to the speed to enter the gap.

Dual carriageways aren't always flowing at the limit, so you should never just blindly accelerae to the speed limit as you suggest
Ok that sounds logical. But what if there's a steady stream of traffic in the carriageway lane you want to join (going at a reasonably fast speed, lets say 50mph) where there's only a 2-3 second gap between each car.
melinae
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Juno)
No, you're just a bad driver and an equally skilled liar
I thought he meant that there was a steady flow of traffic with no gaps even when he reached the end of the slip road. Which I'm guessing isn't what he's saying. I made a mistake, I'm sorry!
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You want to build up to a reasonable speed, and start looking for the gap ASAP so you can appropriately adjust your speed.

Generally speaking, people tend to be more considerate when it comes to slip roads and will (generally) make an effort to try and make room if they can, perhaps by slowing down a touch or holding a slower speed to give you that gap, or simply just by changing lane.

Joining carriageways from slip roads doesn't tend to be all that much hassle, and you don't tend to end up in situations where you're SOL and at the end of the slip road.

But lets say there's absolutely no way you're going to get on and it isn't choc-a-block with a tailback going miles... What do you do? The only thing you can do, stop... It should be noted that stopping at the end of the slip road is a HUGE no-no. Not only are you now joining a 50-70MPH road from a standstill, but you also risk getting rear ended if there's a driver behind you as they are also looking for a gap. Stopping at the end of the slip road is the absolute LAST RESORT (although in same cases, it's a must, for example, where Carter Lane East joins the A38 in South Normanton (although this is more of junction than a proper slip road, but that stretch of the A38 is NSL, and you have no choice but to stop there).

While it's certainly a bit iffy, I'd rather chance a gap that isn't quite as big as I'd like it to be (obviously, not a stupidly small gap), than have to stop on a slip road and join from a standstill. The gap might earn you a minor, but if you stop on the slip road and get rear ended, it's game over, test terminated on the spot. The only time I'd chance a stop at the end of a slip road was if I had nothing behind me, and I was driving pretty much one of the worlds quickest production cars... Or one of those 600HP RallyX monsters.

As for the gap when merging... A reasonable one. As long as you're not pulling out close in front of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (117)
24.43%
Pop (110)
22.96%
Jazz (22)