steven yeun
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I want to study economics at Uni and it wasn't an available a level subject so I settled for politics instead (which I really dont mind tbh) and so that gave me the oppurtunity to base my EPQ on Economics.

Initially I wanted to do my EPQ on Brexit, but that overlapped with politics, and then I chose the Financial Crahsh in 2008 but this would be risky as it is a very common case study. Then I decided to do Global Inequality but from what I have seen on the spec, it also overlaps.

Then I realised I would have to chose something that wasnt a UK topic, so I chose to do the Great Depression in the US, but I think that hasnt got too much information that I can look into (I know there is a lot, but I wouldnt reallly know where to look). And then I have the possibility of looking into fair trade and whether trade is actually fair. Unfortunately this links to politics slightly. So then I thought about Aid but apparently this overlaps too.

As you may be able to tell I am really running out of ideas, and all the thing I want to do overlap with politics - even if just slightly. So for that reason, I am wondering how much does my EPQ need to overlap with my A levels in order for it to be 'disqualifying'. My Politics teacher isn't very helpful in terms of giving guidance on what overlaps and what doesn't so I kind of have to rely on the help of people who have already studied a level politics. sigh.

I really feel stressed out because as much as I want to do EPQ its also madatory at my school, so I have to do it on something and im only really interested in pursuing looking at the economics of countries and businesses etc.

Here are the following topics I am now thinking about doing:

What caused the great depression and how did it affect the US economy?
How the war affected UKs economy?
How did industrialization affect the UKs economy?
Is trade really fair?
Does international trade do more good than bad?

UGHHH im just so stressed about what to do and doing something non-economics isnt really an option because its what I really want to learn more about, and study at Uni. Basically I need help to figure out whether there is much content for A levl Politics on Aid, Trade or Inequality because its what I really want to do.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you're worrying unnecessarily as you aren't banned from doing an EPQ on anything to do with a subject just because you are studying that subject at A level - there are loads of Politics EPQs you could do that do not relate to what you are studying at A level. Talk to your EPQ supervisor.
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it gets mentioned in brief detail on your course and you go deeper into it on your EPQ then it's not an overlap and you can do it. You can pick the same events, but as long as you don't look at an area of them that you do in your course you're fine.
steven yeun
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I think you're worrying unnecessarily as you aren't banned from doing an EPQ on anything to do with a subject just because you are studying that subject at A level - there are loads of Politcis EPQs you could do that do not relate to what you are studying at A level. Talk to your EPQ supervisor.
I get what you mean and im so confused because people online who i have spoken to, and whose youtube videos i have seen have said the same thing. Im really confused because my supervisor is saying there should be absoloutley no overlap so im just really stuck. I want to look at trade but my supervisor is being so harsh so i cant do it - i think thats personally just her being cautious but its stressing me out! Im going to talk to another politics teacher and see and hopefully research more, but thank you so much - i have a tendency to stress too much!
steven yeun
Rep:
?
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
If it gets mentioned in brief detail on your course and you go deeper into it on your EPQ then it's not an overlap and you can do it. You can pick the same events, but as long as you don't look at an area of them that you do in your course you're fine.
thank you so much, i think that that would mean i should be fine so fingers crossed!!
Ze Witcher
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by steven yeun)
I get what you mean and im so confused because people online who i have spoken to, and whose youtube videos i have seen have said the same thing. Im really confused because my supervisor is saying there should be absoloutley no overlap so im just really stuck. I want to look at trade but my supervisor is being so harsh so i cant do it - i think thats personally just her being cautious but its stressing me out! Im going to talk to another politics teacher and see and hopefully research more, but thank you so much - i have a tendency to stress too much!
Why aren't you allowed to talk about trade?
steven yeun
Rep:
?
I think it overlaps with one of the modules, but im really not sure - have you done politics a level, and do you know if theres any mention?
(Original post by Ze Witcher)
Why aren't you allowed to talk about trade?
Ze Witcher
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by steven yeun)
I think it overlaps with one of the modules, but im really not sure - have you done politics a level, and do you know if theres any mention?
Ah okay. I didn't do Politics so I wouldn't understand, but my whole EPQ is based on trade - and I didn't study Economics at A level either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads