Stuck at another uni but want to do medicine

Watch this thread
Arie1239
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys,

Basically, I have very low A-Level Grades (ABC in History, Biology and Chemistry) and I have a low ukcat score of 570 average. I'm in year 1 of another degree, I completed the foundation year last year and want to do medicine. I will also be taking the bmat in november and i have taken a gap year before coming to uni. Is there any chance of applying to med and if there is, what universities should i apply to. Also, in my foundation year I got 80% in bio but failed to get 70% in chem.
I did ok in gcse's- 1A*, 5A's and 4B's
what should I do? Is there a point in applying again this year?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arie1239)
Hi guys,

Basically, I have very low A-Level Grades (ABC in History, Biology and Chemistry) and I have a low ukcat score of 570 average. I'm in year 1 of another degree, I completed the foundation year last year and want to do medicine. I will also be taking the bmat in november and i have taken a gap year before coming to uni. Is there any chance of applying to med and if there is, what universities should i apply to. Also, in my foundation year I got 80% in bio but failed to get 70% in chem.
I did ok in gcse's- 1A*, 5A's and 4B's
what should I do? Is there a point in applying again this year?
Are you talking about grad entry or dropping out now and applying without a degree? If you drop out now you will need to bring up your score and do well in your BMAT but your A levels and foundation year scores will let you down. You may be better off doing grad entry medicine if you still want to.
Arie1239
Rep:
(Original post by alleycat393)
Are you talking about grad entry or dropping out now and applying without a degree? If you drop out now you will need to bring up your score and do well in your BMAT but your A levels and foundation year scores will let you down. You may be better off doing grad entry medicine if you still want to.
No im talking about reapplying now in my first year with my foundation year grades, i got above 70% in all modules apart from chemistry. I've been told that Brighton uni and lancaster accept the foundation degree I did last year.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No im talking about reapplying now in my first year with my foundation year grades, i got above 70% in all modules apart from chemistry. I've been told that Brighton uni and lancaster accept the foundation degree I did last year.
I suggest getting in touch with the unis and checking. You will have to declare all your grades and unis may not be willing to accept someone who doesn't meet the entry requirements for such a competitive course.
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Applying when only 2 unis accept your qualification isnt very smart.
Besides that, people who get into medicine from foundation year generally are creme de la creme and have outstanding application in other areas too.
You are at a big disadvantage with your poor A levels and low UKCAT. Unless you have 5 years worth of work experience and amazing PS I would suggest you focus on your current degree, get a 1st or 2:1 and apply for graduate medicine.
Arie1239
Rep:
I have 3 years of work experience but im not that can still bring up my application. I contacted southampton and they said if i take out another gap year they can accept my application but i dont want to risk that
Arie1239
Rep:
I know people from my foundation year that have transfered to medicine with low 70's in their modules. But im still unsure on whether to apply this year or not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.07%
The paper was reasonable (137)
37.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.43%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.17%

Watched Threads