Jxrdqn99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Methanol can be prepared industrially by reacting together carbon monoxide and hydrogen. This is a reversible reaction:
CO(g) + 2H2 —> CH3OH
A chemist mixes together 0.114mol CO and 0.152mol H2 in a container. The container is pressurised and sealed. The total volume is 200cm3. This mixture is heated to 500K and left to reach equilibrium. The volume of the container is still 200cm3. The chemist analyses the equilibrium mixture and finds that 0.052mol CH3OH has formed.
A) calculate the value of Kc, including units for the equilibrium at 500K. Give your answer to 3 s.f.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What have you tried so far?
Jxrdqn99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  282F5BFB-264D-4399-95B9-B1CDA0DE3B70.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  553.4 KB
(Original post by Pigster)
What have you tried so far?
Please excuse my messy handwriting but this is what I’ve done so far. I’ve looked at mark schemes but I don’t understand where they’ve gotten certain numbers from.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You've worked out the amounts of CO, H2 and CH3OH correctly.

BUT...

To work out Kc, you have to know the concentrations of each substance (you are given the volume).

In this case, there are 3 mol of gas on the LHS and only 1 on the RHS. V matters.

In many cases, there will be the same number of mol on both sides and the V will cancel out, i.e. you won't have to converts amounts of each substance into concs (but it is good practice to convert them - although I wouldn't as it might introduce an unnecessary error).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (375)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (625)
48.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed