Difference between applying to Oxford and Cambridge for Medicine? Watch

RobbieRotten0105
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What are the differences in the application processes of applying to Cambridge and Oxford? Also, what is the difference between the Medicine course at both Unis or are they both the same type of course in terms of learning/teaching style? What is the difference between their entry requirements?
ArcaneMists
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know a bit about their entry requirements. Oxford places more emphasis on GCSEs and is less interview-based, so if you get an interview, you are more likely to get in. Cambridge places more emphasis on A-levels (UMS) and interviews 70-80% of applicants, so it is more interview-based. Both of these universities require the BMAT.
RobbieRotten0105
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ArcaneMists)
I know a bit about their entry requirements. Oxford places more emphasis on GCSEs and is less interview-based, so if you get an interview, you are more likely to get in. Cambridge places more emphasis on A-levels (UMS) and interviews 70-80% of applicants, so it is more interview-based. Both of these universities require the BMAT.
Do you reckon I can get into Oxford with 6A*s and 5As at GCSE?
ArcaneMists
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fishy789)
Cambridge would be easier to get into. Most oxford and Cambridge applicants have 9A*+.
Mikasadoge
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The average Oxford medicine applicant has something around an average of 9A*s at GCSE but with that said it's just one part of your application. Remember, if you don't apply you definitely won't get in. Good luck
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unless you have significant extenuating circumstances it is not worth applying to Oxford. https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics Apply to Cambridge.

(Original post by ArcaneMists)
I know a bit about their entry requirements. Oxford places more emphasis on GCSEs and is less interview-based, so if you get an interview, you are more likely to get in.
This is technically true, however the difference is smaller than you make out. Cambridge interview about 3.2 applicants per place, Oxford about 2.7.

The much larger difference is that Oxford gets about twice as many applicants per place vs Cambridge. Hence why then interview a lower proportion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?