Redox Titration Calculation Help A-Level Chemistry AQA

Watch
Jessinoch
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A 25.0cm^3 sample of a solution containing iron (II) and iron (III) sulfates together with dilute sulfuric acid required 21.9cm^3 of 0.0200 mol dm^-3 potassium manganate (VII) for complete oxidation. A further sample of the same solution was treated with tin (II) chloride solution to potassium manganate (VII) for complete oxidation. Calculate the concentrations of the iron (II) and iron (III) in grams per dm^3.

No idea where to go with this, can someone talk me through it step by step?

Thanks for any help
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jessinoch)
A 25.0cm^3 sample of a solution containing iron (II) and iron (III) sulfates together with dilute sulfuric acid required 21.9cm^3 of 0.0200 mol dm^-3 potassium manganate (VII) for complete oxidation. A further sample of the same solution was treated with tin (II) chloride solution to potassium manganate (VII) for complete oxidation. Calculate the concentrations of the iron (II) and iron (III) in grams per dm^3.

Thanks for any help
Hi, I'm not a chemistry expert, but I'm going to move your thread over to the chemistry section to help you get more replies! For future reference, here is the subject forum directory.
Metanoia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A further sample of the same solution was treated with tin (II) chloride solution to potassium manganate (VII) for complete oxidation.
Is there a typo in this sentence? I'm having difficulty making sense from this
Jessinoch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Metanoia)
Is there a typo in this sentence? I'm having difficulty making sense from this
Sorry yes it’s supposed to say: a further sample of the same solution was treated with tin (II) chloride solution to reduce the iron (III) to iron (II): this solution then needed 36.6cm^3 of 0.0200 mol dm^-3 potassium manganate for complete oxidation.
HeadHoncho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks for any help
First step: what’s the balanced half equations for Fe2+ -> Fe3+ and for [MnO4]- -> Mn2+

Second: combine them to get the testing mole ratios
Jessinoch
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeadHoncho)
First step: what’s the balanced half equations for Fe2+ -> Fe3+ and for [MnO4]- -> Mn2+

Second: combine them to get the testing mole ratios
MnO4- + 8H+ + 5Fe2+ -> Mn2+ + 5Fe3+ + 4H2O
HeadHoncho
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
MnO4- + 8H+ + 5Fe2+ -> Mn2+ + 5Fe3+ + 4H2O
Then using the info you’ve provided, you can calculate the number of moles of MnO4- used, and therefore the moles of Fe2+ present in the sample (5x that of MnO4-)
Jessinoch
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeadHoncho)
Then using the info you’ve provided, you can calculate the number of moles of MnO4- used, and therefore the moles of Fe2+ present in the sample (5x that of MnO4-)
Yep got that
Metanoia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have included the main steps below while leaving out the actual calculations, let me know if you need further clarification after trying them out

A 25.0cm^3 sample of a solution containing iron (II) and iron (III) sulfates together with dilute sulfuric acid required 21.9cm^3 of 0.0200 mol dm^-3 potassium manganate (VII) for complete oxidation.
The first part of the question should be used to find the moles of Fe2+ present in the mixture, since only the Fe2+ (not Fe3+) will react with MnO4-

5Fe2+ + MnO4- +8H+ → 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O

Step 1) moles of MnO4- required = 0.0219 x 0.02
Step 2) moles of Fe2+ in 1st reaction =
Step 3) concentration of Fe2+ in mixture =

Sorry yes it’s supposed to say: a further sample of the same solution was treated with tin (II) chloride solution to reduce the iron (III) to iron (II): this solution then needed 36.6cm^3 of 0.0200 mol dm^-3 potassium manganate for complete oxidation.
For the 2nd part, the Fe3+ portion was reduced to Fe2+. In addition to the Fe2+ already present (calculated in step 2), Fe2+ (old and new) was then oxidised by MnO4-.

Step 4) moles of MnO4- required = 0.0366 x 0.02
Step 5) moles of Fe2+ in 2nd reaction =
Step 6) moles of Fe3+ originally present = moles of Fe2+ calculated in step 5 - moles of Fe2+ calculated in step 2
Step 7) concentration of Fe3+ =
Jessinoch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Metanoia)
I have included the main steps below while leaving out the actual calculations, let me know if you need further clarification after trying them out

For the 2nd part, the Fe3+ portion was reduced to Fe2+. In addition to the Fe2+ already present (calculated in step 2), Fe2+ (old and new) was then oxidised by MnO4-.

Step 4) moles of MnO4- required = 0.0366 x 0.02
Step 5) moles of Fe2+ in 2nd reaction =
Step 6) moles of Fe3+ originally present = moles of Fe2+ calculated in step 5 - moles of Fe2+ calculated in step 2
Step 7) concentration of Fe3+ =
Got you. Thank you!
HeadHoncho
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep got that
Then do the exact same thing for the Fe3+ that was converted into Fe2+, then knowing the number of moles of Fe2+ and Fe3+, you can calculate the gdm^-3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads